how to tell difference between cockerels and pullets?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I bought 22 EE chicks 7 weeks ago and I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the sex of the chicks. Some of them have almost no comb, some of them have a bit more comb that is just light pink, some of them have a larger comb that is almost red, some of them have almost no comb that is red, I have to say I'm confused! How do I tell the difference or do I just have to wait and see?
idunno.gif

Your wrong I holded his beak and he didn't kicked and I checked all my stags none kicked then I grabbed my pullet and it kicked so I'm sure it's not a damn pullet it's a stag

Your wrong homie ik what it is it's a stag cause no pullet had long pointy beak and he ain't no pullet color I seen his dad they look the same same characteristics
If you're so sure, why bother asking here??.....and here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...llet-is-a-rooster.838308/page-2#post-18676671

Here is a pic when I first bright him in look at his beak
I see no indications that this chick is male. No darker red through the wing/shoulder. Only female indicators at this point. Pale comb. Rosey brown breast, a classically female coloration.
At this point, there are no indications of being a male. Post again in a couple weeks if that changes.

Cockerels tend to stand more erect and look tall. You may have to wait and see... or post some pics here
big_smile.png

Combs: redish in cockerels, yellowish in pullets. Legs: larger in cockerels, more robust. And yes , the pullets tend to walk more parallel to the floor. If you make a sound to alert them ,the guys tend to raise the head. Girls don't do that so evident. Guess who are boys in this pic.

(1 red, 1 dark brown,1 white)

Last edited:
EEs can be a tricky call. The mixed lines that go into producing an EE can really mess with the ability to sex them young. Unfortunately I have found that until they start crowing or laying eggs, it is really difficult to determine whether they are male or female. Behavior tends to be a more accurate gauge than appearance as Kano said.

Good luck.

Quote:
That's what I thought, I bought 2 EE's that were supposed to be pullets, my wife called me at work one day and said hey hon you're a dad to a pullet that crows!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom