How to tell gauge age on a rooster?

Aug 29, 2022
Last year, towards the end of January I rescued a roosted who we named Tommy. I had no idea of age because every feather from his wings back had been ripped out! And I think his spurs had been removed, but maybe he really didn't have any yet. Now a year later he's beautiful, protects his hens and turkeys with his life and is nice enough to us although he adores my 17 yr old son. His spurs are now about 4-5 inches long and sharp enough to kill a hawk, or should I say 3 since that's his count so far. I did see my BBW boy helped him with the last one.

But back to the question, how can I guess his age? I'm not sure but I think he's a Rhode Island Red if that matters. I'm guessing he's 1.5 - 2 years old.

This link might help! The key is to look at the spurs... CLICK HERE!
If for some reason the link doesn't work, I think you can just look it up. I'm not an expert with spurs and ages with poultry yet... Hope that helps!

Would you post some pictures of him? Include some of his legs where his spurs should be?

This link might help! The key is to look at the spurs... CLICK HERE!
If for some reason the link doesn't work, I think you can just look it up. I'm not an expert with spurs and ages with poultry yet... Hope that helps!
Haha, now I'm really confused, his spurs are WAY longer but much thinner and he had none last year, so it's only a years growth.

Would you post some pictures of him? Include some of his legs where his spurs should be?
He definitely has spurs, just didn't have them when we first brought him home, or they were tiny, I don't really remember since we tried to mess with him as little as possible because he was in such rough shape. I'll try to get some pictures when I go out to check on them a little later today.

Back
Top Bottom