how to tell if my baby chicks have mites?

gingersnap0

Hatching
Jul 5, 2015
I have 5 baby chick silkies i picked up the other day. 3 are about 1 week old and 2 are about 2 1/2 weeks old. I realized when i got home, that the farm i got the baby chick silkies - one of the adult silkie had a bad case of scaly leg mites! I was not aware of how bad it was until i started researching it. Now i am wondering if these baby chicks might have them? Would i be able to tell if they are infected by mites, and what should i do? I have them in a crate inside by chicken coop.

To answer your question it really depends on whether the chicks were hatched in an incubator or with a broody hen in a coop at the farm. If they were incubated then it is very unlikely that your chicks have mites (unless they get them your current coop). If they were hatched in a wooden coop at the farm then it is possible as mites will go for any food source.

The main indication of mites is generally feather loss and irritation. This could be harder to see at such a young age as they chicks still won't have many feathers. If you are overly worried try some mite dust but I honestly think you'll be alright, good luck! :)

Last edited:
They have been hatched by a broody hen in a coop. I had a hard time to tell if they would have mites. As it is, they do have less feathers and can see more their skin. (but could be babies loosing feathers). I inspected them, looked on wings, underneath wings, vent, and legs. I couldn't see anything. Wondering if i would be able to spot them if they had mites or are mites so tiny its too hard to tell?

If this fella had bad leg mites why not just rub Vaseline on the babies feet and legs? I don't think it will harm them of you sparingly rub some into their legs. That way "if" they're harboring mites, they'll all be suffocated.[/B][/B]

Last edited:
If this fella had bad leg mites why not just rub Vaseline on the babies feet and legs? I don't think it will harm them of you sparingly rub some into their legs. That way "if" they're harboring mites, they'll all be suffocated.[/B][/B]

Vaseline can be used effectively but it only kills adult mites by suffocating them. This leaves the mite eggs still living.

If your chicks do have mites ( I really hope they don't) then you will have to clean out the coop. Mites will live in the cracks of wood, like the crate and coop/perches, so this will have to be blitzed with some form of cleaning agent. Adding to that, the likes of mite dust, and Vaseline as suggested by legaleagle, should keep your problem away depending on the severity of the infestation. Good luck :)

Leg mites stay on legs rather than living on the structure like other mites.
You won't see the mites but will see raised scales on the legs if they have them.

If the chicks were hatched by a broody with leg mites, they probably have them too.
Had this same situation this winter...broody gave them to her chicks, but incubated chicks living in same space since spring do not have them.
Just keep coating the chicks legs with some kind of vegetable oil, running the applicator from foot up leg to get under the scales, to suffocate the mites as they hatch out.

Last edited:
Please understand two types of mites are being discussed. Scaly leg mites are pretty obvious causing the feet/leg scales to lift, swell and cause discomfort in advanced stages. As I understand they are passed from bird to bird and aren't usually a problem "in" the coop. They CAN be effectively eradicated with suffocation. While I would change bedding, etc I wouldn't necessarily 'fumigate'the coop for them. NOT that I'm a fumigant fan anyway...
Red mites and other versions of "body mites" are another story. These insidious little creepers thrive in the cracks and crevices of a coop and require far more aggressive and proactive treatment of both bird and building than the leg mites.

Last edited:
well thats sort of good news if they stay on legs and not also in my coop! i have been putting vaseline for 3days (x1/day). i am wondering if that would've killed the mites? i suppose it would've been in case if there would have mite eggs.. because i cant seem to see anything. I do also have other chicks that i have (from different farm), but have them separated, and wondering if i should still keep them separated?

well thats sort of good news if they stay on legs and not also in my coop! i have been putting vaseline for 3days (x1/day). i am wondering if that would've killed the mites? i suppose it would've been in case if there would have mite eggs.. because i cant seem to see anything. I do also have other chicks that i have (from different farm), but have them separated, and wondering if i should still keep them separated?
I'd keep applying the treatment for 10 days, then wait...it can take quite awhile for the scales to look better.

But wait...are you even sure they have them?

You just saw an adult (at the farm you got the chicks from) that had the scaly leg mites?

the chicken had bad case of scaly mites! (from the farm i got the chicks from) For as the chicks bedding, i have paper towel that i change x2/ day. Im guessing that scaly mites would be hard to detect on my chicks if they happen to have caught them?

Back
Top Bottom