How to treat frostbite

dreamfree

Hatching
Dec 8, 2015
Time of below 0, my rooster got frostbite on his feet. Now the toes turn black. I want to heal them but don't know how. Any idea or experience, please let me know

The blackness is dead tissue. I have never had a problem with chicken feet getting frostbite, but I get my birds' combs a lot. I put Vaseline on their combs to prevent frostbite. As for the feet, frostbite occurs when there is moisture in the cold. If you can, try to keep his feet dry. This will prevent further injury. I'd also try the vaseline, only, he'd be able to wipe it off.

Where are you located and what does your coop look like? Is it mostly enclosed or well ventilated? What size, shape and material is the roost bar he was using?

Thanks couchin & howard. Im in WI, my coop is insulated inside my barn and I also have a heater in it too, but not enough. It is very cold. My rooster is 10 lbs can't sleep on bar, sleeps on floor. I think the moisture came from the way he stept on the dropping.

You could cover the roost poles with towels(tacked to them) so when the birds roost and lay their heads over their feet, it would help keep them warm.

You could cover the roost poles with towels(tacked to them) so when the birds roost and lay their heads over their feet, it would help keep them warm.

Hm. Frostbite happens when there is moisture. Wouldn't the towels just keep moisture in them? I'd recommend no. And, when the birds poop all over the towels... those will be some really gross towels. At least on wooden perches you can wipe/scrape it off. With towels, it would be a whole other story.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom