How To Treat Pneumonia

GIFC2020

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
I think my one year old Sicilian Buttercup hen has pneumonia. She is still eating and drinking a little but has stopped laying. I noticed a couple days ago that she was wheezing and sneezing. Today when I listened to her lungs they sounded horrible. I know to treat with Tylan or Duramycin but don't no how much or how to administer it.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Chickens get respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, coryza, and others. If they get complications or secondary infections they can then get air sacculitis. The problem with many diseases is they look similar to one another, and can be caused by viruses, bacteria or mycoplasma, or fungus infections. Antibiotics may help treat bacterial or mycoplasma, but since most of those diseases are chronic, they may come back or leave the chicken a carrier for life. For that reason, it may be wise to have your chicken tested, and your state vet may assist you in doing that. Tylan 50 injectable can be given by a shot into the breast muscle or orally--1/2. ml for a small chicken, or 1 ml for those over 5 lb once a day for 3-5 days. Oxytetracycline or Duramycin (tetracycline) can be given in the water for 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom