how to use a live trap???

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I have a live trap I got for free, but I don't know what to bait it with.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to catch iether, but it dug a nice size hole under the barn.

Isn't there a page that tells about preditors and what bait works best?

Ruth

Hard to say what to bait with if you dont' know what you're trying to catch... Hmmm, how big is the hole? That will narrow it down. Oh, and how big is the trap?

Hot dogs and tuna seem to work ok for alot of small wild animals, like skunks, coons, possoms.

We dont know the size of the trap or whats trying to get in. First its probably a rat, possum, skunk. If it was a racoon it would probably already gotten in.

So lets try a rat first. i have a feeder on the floor for some old hens that are free ranging. Whatever pellets they leave behind by the end of the day, I sweep them in a little pile and put the live frap over the pile, behind the trip peddle.

i usually catch the rat if there is one around. If they are trying to get in the coop via tunnel, let them get in then use a spring type trap that is baited with good stuff. The best rat bait that really draws them in is very crispy bacon tidbits mixed with peanut butter.

Once you have the trap baited and in the path (feel free to modify to set the trap solid), then cover with a bucket so a chicken doesnt get snapped.

Another way that is proven killer is an old 1 1/2 size leghold jump trap. This works in the feed storage area where no critters are supposed to be. Use an old sauce pan and fill it with an inch of feed and set the trap right on top. the rat will hop right over and land square on the pedal which will grip it midsection.

If its a skunk, dont try the last method!!!!!

The trap I have is about 4 ft long and about 15 or 18 in tall.
I have seen the scat (looks similar to cat or dog) and definately NOT a rat. Could be skunk or groundhog? The hole is at least 8 in across. I think it is a burrow.

i have caught many raccoons with just a little bowl of sweet feed. the groundhogs seem to prefer veggies. and no matter what i put in there, i catch at least one chicken per day.
big_smile.png

and lord help you if you trap a skunk!
lol.png

We have an 8 inch hole under our pole shed and have seen our little critter finally. It's a groundhog. Which means meat will do nothing for it...were going to try a head of lettuce to entice it lol.

Back
Top Bottom