How to use chicken wire

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
6 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Step one: buy chicken wire...easy enough.
Step two: unroll the chicken wire.
Step three: scream bloody murder as it springs back and cuts your hand.
Step four: find something heavy to hold the unrolled wire down
Step five: try to staple it in place with poultry wire staples
Step six: bash your hand with the hammer.
Step seven: suck your thumb in pain only to let go of the wire and have it spring back at you again
Step eight: reconsider getting chickens
Step nine: wonder if you have tetanus

I don’t have my chickens penned in. I use chicken wire as a “safety space” around my coop, there is 2 doors that they use to get out into the fields, even though they free range it’s still useful for when there’s bailing/ silage going on. I don’t even like to call it a ‘pen’ so I just call the whole thing a ‘coop’. That said I don’t have a problem with chickens being kept in pens, I just believe they should have the right amount of space to run around, eat bugs and dust bath. They’re a good laugh when we’re having family BBQ’s in summer. We always get one that jumps up and snatches something while no ones looking :lol:

I know the idea of having a ‘pen’ is to keep predators out, but the only real predators here in Ireland are foxes. We have a dog onboard the look out so we only have ever had a problem when a silly ‘dud’ hen decides to sleep in the field :barnie

I use a staples gun instead of those that you have to hammer in. Even if you just want to hold it in place to hold the nails (can't even remember what they are called now) I agree that a pair of needle nosed pliers are helpful. I have also found sticking out your tongue to the left side instead of the right side is helpful.

I thought the OP meant fence staples like these, which if you do not have a pneumatic gun you need a hammer and some needle nose pliers.

51htvc51MbL._SY355_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom