How to warm the coop?

Wow I really fill silly.
th.gif
I just went to Tractor Supply and bought a brooder heat lamp. Looks like we may get down to 36 tonight and maybe 32 tomarrow. I guess i'm an over protective dad. I'm in Texas! What was I thinking. I should be buying an A/C unit while on clearance.
lau.gif
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif

If you are going to be dealing with temps below zero, all you need is a small ceramic heater.
We have the little $30 one from Lowes.
It is on low for 0 down to 10 below.
Anything below that ( our coop is insulated) it goes on high.

This just brings the temp up enough to prevent freezing to death and frostbite.
Its still cold in there. You can see your breath still:)

Winter came on fast here in Montana this year. We were 60 degrees four days ago, and pushing past 10 below tonight. I will leave a small ceramic heater going for a few nights until they acclimate. The girls only made it a few feet out into their run today before deciding the wind chill was too much.....If your chickens are cold hardy, you shouldn't have problems to 20 below. I had 25 Rhode Island Reds as a young child, and they never saw a heater. I remember 35-40 below on some of those winters, so I assume the coop was probably 15 to 20 below. I would haul them fresh water several times a day, and I kept the floor littered with deep straw through the winter. I don't know much about the delicate breeds, but those feathers should be good for something. Humidity will probably play a larger role in your problems unless the temperature drops below 0. Good luck!

Southern Ontario here as well. Our coop is insulated with R 2 styro insulation, last winter we got as low as -35 C here. I have 19 hens, 15 last winter and they were fine. On those especially cold days I kept the hens inside with some fresh veggies to pick on.

My coop is 17x13ft, with 4 'shed' windows... ie, single pane and only one faces south.

Give them some extra bedding and hot water in their waterer and you'll be fine.

Ha ha! You all have some tough chickens! About a week or so it was in the low 50's here with gusting winds, and my chickens were freezing!!!! They sat around all huddled up and didn't do anything until the temp returned to our normal fall temps of 65-80 degrees here in San Diego. I had to give them extra bedding & shut thier coop window!
lol.png

Quote:
My chickens puffed up when it 1st got cold, but in a day or so they were used to it and the 30's we are having now don't phase them.

Back
Top Bottom