How to Wing Amputation????

Thank you to those who have been supportive. To those who havent, we all have different opinions and that is fine, to each their own..

So, we went to the rescue. Got the name of a vet that deals with all sorts of animals.
Took her to see the vet. She is staying there overnight, and the amputation is scheduled for the morning.

It is costly, but, we decided to do it. When it came down to it, I cant do that to her myself. And I refuse to put her down.
So, the cost goes on the credit card, and she is worth it to me. I feel very attached her after everything that has happened.

The vet we found treats everything from Iguanas, to 140 pound Pythons (they had one there tonight), all kinds of birds, Lions, tigers... etc...
I was really impressed with this Vet, answered all of our questions, gave us several options, but, amputation was the best choice for her.

My biggest worry is the surgery. I know that birds do not always do well under anesthesia, and I would be devasted if we lost her..
Hoping for the best.. her surgery should be over by 1pm tomorrow at the latest...

If she makes it through that, I have no doubt that she will make a full recovery!

Also, after talking to the vet, describing the injuries on the other birds.. he believes the attack may have been from a Hawk or Owl. Which would actually make a lot of sense.
I will report back tomorrow after the surgery to post how it went..

Sounds like you found yourself a GREAT vet, and thank you for doing right by this duck.

There is a risk when putting anyone under, but sometimes it is a necessary risk..... All fingers and wings are crossed here for a great outcome for your girl.

I'm glad you took the duck to a vet. I know it is costly, but it is better then doing nothing or even trying it yourself. I know she will make it through, she already survived this far. She is a fighter and will love you even more. Ducks have very good memory and remember those that helped them. Now lets make your pen safe so she can come back and be a happy duck.

We have coyotes out here, and it is just a question of time or when they find our ducks. There is no way of making it all 100% secure. Our dogs will guard them, but that does not mean nothing will happen. The darn coyotes jump a 5 foot fence without a problem. I have seen them doing it. They can even make a 6 foot fence. At least I have a secure duck house for the night.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

good wishes sent for your duck!
bless you bananarose for taking her to the vet.
she will be the best duck ever!

bow.gif

Is a $1200 English Bulldogge's life more valuable....more deserving, than a $12 parakeet?
That parakeet is just as *alive* as the dog. The value of an animal's life should NOT be based on the pricetag around it's neck at purchase

That would be your opinion not a fact. I stated my opinion earlier.​

Quote:
I agree with you. I never look at my animals as a dollar sign. I do what I have to do to take care of my animals. My DH and I both have medical backgrounds so we take care of some things ourselves at home but never hesitate to take them to the vet when nec. in spite of the cost. We do not have unlimited funds either and worry about the cost of things when something big comes up but we always figure it out.

Quote:

That would be your opinion not a fact. I stated my opinion earlier.

It's not fact that a parakeet is just as alive as a dog?

roll.png
ok.

I hope someday your life isn't left to chance based on your net worth. Would be a pity, wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom