How vulnerable are small ducks to copperheads?

mynameisjustjen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
North Georgia
Today I saw a 2' long brown snake dart under our front porch this am. And or course today when the girls were outside grazing they wanted to sleep under the deck to escape the sun and hawks in the area. I have a small mallard and runner mix that is on the small side. Is it likely for a copperhead to attack a small duck?

They can if the duck is small enough. I had a 3 foot bullsnake in one duck house about a month ago. Mostly, I think he was looking for eggs, since my ducks are way too large to eat. A two foot brown snake probably would not try to eat your ducks, but if they torment him, he will fight back. Your ducks look fairly large for a snake to take on for any reason other than self-defense.

I generally try to hook the snake (using a rake or hoe) and move it elsewhere or if I can't do that, I might chase it with a long pole and make it unpleasant for the snake to be in the area. There are snake repellents and you could try that around where your ducks are. No guarantees on the success rate. Repellents are a sometimes solution.

I've had ducks for five years and very large bull snakes without the two interacting. If your ducks are very young—less than a month, they could be small enough for a snake to take on. I generally keep mine in until they are big enough to not be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom