How weird

When our Blue Andys started laying last summer several would "climb" the fence to go lay eggs in the goat house. By climb I mean that they would fly up the fence as high as they could and use their feet to walk up while flapping their wings as hard as they could. Their wings had been clipped, and we didn't know how they were getting out until I caught one in the act.
smile.png

Laid an egg in the new coop while it was under construction. When I say under construction, I mean I was hammering away at it not two feet from her. She jumped up in it (no ladder yet), and started checking out the nesting box. I threw in a few handfuls of bedding for her and watched—still hammering away. She laid an egg, cackled a bit at me (I don't speak hen, but I think she said "Good job") and went on her way.

They all gather and watch me as I work with power tools (or a loud hammer!) as I'm constructing the new coop. The noise of the circular saw does NOT seem to bother them in the slightest. I learned I had to adjust the run enclosure fence to exclude them from the construction area, because they would actually flap up to the wood surface AS I WAS CUTTING IT with the power saw and come see what was throwing that sawdust everywhere. Lordy! Plus, any dropped nail caused a flurry of excited chickens dashing for it. Oh NO! Can't have them eating THOSE!

Even now, they will gather on the other side of the run fence close to where I work on something. They'll wander away if I go out of their sight, and when I come around from the back side of the new coop, or exit from working inside it, they all rush back to ask me chickeny questions about where I've been and what I've been doing.

Last edited:
lol gryeyes.. my chickens were hanging out with us last weekend during our coop renovation! The saw and drill seemed more interesting than scary! the funny buggers...

i actually said to my hubby.. these guys are certainly not 'chicken'... I am beginning to wonder why the term 'chicken' is applied to people who are timid or scared of something
hmm.png

Not really weird, but when I was mowing my lawn last Summer my pullets were out freeranging.

I thought the noise of the lawntractor would scare them but they stared it down then followed me, gobbling up the grass clippings.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom