How/when can I tell gender? And what the heck are these chicks?

FruitfulFaith

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
I have a bunch of red stars, black stars, anconas, and australorps. I'm guessing all of the red stars and black stars are pullets (it would probably be hard to screw up on sex links, right? Although ONE of my black stars is getting a really dark red comb wayyy before the others, which is weird). With my australorps and anconas though, I've realized there is a chance there may be a roo in there somewhere. How and when would I be able to tell if one was "a little different"? lol Is there some early sign that might give me a hint she might be a he?
Also, I got some chicks from the feed store and over the phone I was told they had production reds and buff orpingtons. When I got there, they told me they were red sex links and gold sex links. I have no clue what these chicks are. I'm guessing they are probably Comets but do they look definitively like one or the other?

Ignore the one in the middle in the last pic, cause it's a duck. LOL

Red star, golden commets, red sex link..... etc... are all the same... with a slight difference in the cross that produces them but people just call them the way they like... I prefer calling them red stars.... because I like that they are real stars among chickens.... for sexing other breeds.... u have to wait until a bit older...

So all what u have in the pics are the same breed and sex (girls)... except for the duck :p

Red star, golden commets, red sex link..... etc... are all the same... with a slight difference in the cross that produces them but people just call them the way they like... I prefer calling them red stars.... because I like that they are real stars among chickens.... for sexing other breeds.... u have to wait until a bit older...

I know that a Red star is a red sex link and a Golden comet is a golden sex link. My other chickens are almost 4 months old and I can tell the RSL cockerels that I got as packing peanuts showing brighter, redder combs that the RSL pullets. So I was wondering if there are little signs like that to get a *hint* if one of my anconas or australorps were a cockerel as well.

The chicks in the pictures are the ones from the feed store that I do not know for *sure* what breed they are. Do they appear to be Comets?

Yeah for sure they are commets.... you can notice a more developed and more red comb with males than with females from the same breed at about 4 weeks and more of age...

Back
Top Bottom