how, where, how much and why do you use DE?

Can anybody recommend a brand of DE?? I live in a small town and the only place that knows anything about DE is the local nursery. The have Victor brand DE, which is "safe for pets and children" but nobody can say whether it is food grade. My first post, so sorry if I'm doing this right

Google Golden blend Group, and ask if they have a rep in your area, they have good food grade DE, I paid $20.00 for 50 lbs, and didn't have to pay shipping since the rep had a stall at the flea market since he sold exotic animal food to. Their DE is good stuff too. I use a sifter and sift the DE in the run, coop and nests, I also buta good hanful on the roosts just in case of mites, We have a lot of fleas and ticks here but so far they have left my chickens alone. marrie

Let me toot Spatcher's horn for him!

He sells Food Grade DE with reasonable shipping charges~~~~

I know I will never be without it again!
love.gif

It is amazing stuff! I sprinkle it on my window sills and those dadgum flies are soon dead! And I put it in the dog food to keep em cleaned out but good.

My coop doesn't smell and no buggies on my girls. I put it in their dust bath.

Let me stop!!
ya.gif

Besides all the above uses I use DE in the bottom of the cat litter box and it helps with keeping the urine smell down. I ordered a 50 # bag months ago and it's not even 1/2 gone yet. I have over 20 chickens and 2 cats and 2 dogs that I treat with it. I get mine from custommilling.com They had the best shipping for 50 # I have seen...and I looked A LONG time!

I cant find it around my area either...so I use stall dry. Its the same stuff it just has some clay mixed into it.

I buy stall dry in the horse section at any feed store..

Some asked which DE is the best! Arguably its Perma-Guard! Perma-Guard has the lowest crystalline silica content of all DE's on the market. Crystalline silica is the "bad stuff" in DE. Perma-Guard's content is less than one half of one percent! To be considered Food Grade it has to be less than 3% with no additives. Additionally, Perma-Guard held the patent on Food Grade DE before it expired. Just a little trivia for ya.

when you are spreading the DE around - do you have to wear goggles or gloves or even a mask???

It is recommended that you wear a paper mask when handling it. I never have. If you have underlying problems such as asthma, allergies or emphasema etc, then I would use the mask. Its no worse than handling regular flour.

I don't wear a mask or anything. I guess since it's food grade and people eat it, it can't be to harmful.

Back
Top Bottom