How will I know when its time to?????

Tremogg

Songster
Jan 26, 2022
Show Low, AZ
remove the heat and its safe to move chicks to the coop permanently? Our chicks will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and are feathered but not fully and it is still cold here at night plus we have wind (lots of wind at times) today and tomorrow are supposed to get to 28 at night. We have no way to heat the coop, we let them out the other day for a few hours and they loved it. How do I go about getting them ready for the outside coop? when do I remove the brooder plate and just use the wall heater? The temp in the room where they are ranges from 82 to 72 with just the wall heater. This is the weather schedule for the next week.
Today 28˚ 60˚
Sun 28˚ 64˚
Mon 28˚ 74˚
Tue 42˚ 72˚
Wed 45˚ 74˚
Thu 39˚ 73˚
Fri 44˚ 74˚
Sat 40˚ 76˚

I would wait until the warmer stretch (Tuesday onward) and plan on moving them out then. In the meantime, get them 100% off heat (the plate should be off, but you can leave it in place and off if they like to sit by it) and I'd definitely lower the heat in the room. Either crack a few windows if this is inside the house, and/or lower any heat in the room if you're feeding heat into there.

I would wait until the warmer stretch (Tuesday onward) and plan on moving them out then. In the meantime, get them 100% off heat (the plate should be off, but you can leave it in place and off if they like to sit by it) and I'd definitely lower the heat in the room. Either crack a few windows if this is inside the house, and/or lower any heat in the room if you're feeding heat into there.
I mostly agree, except that I would remove heat in the other order: turn off the room heat first, maybe open windows, but leave the brooder plate for a few more days.

That makes it easier to see how the chicks are reacting to the temperature. If they huddle under the brooder plate, they still need it for heat. But if they are running around happy and sleep away from the plate, they do not need its heat either.

I'm basing my suggestion on the chicks being only partly feathered, and the room having its own heater, as shown by these bits of the original post:

Our chicks will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and are feathered but not fully...How do I go about getting them ready for the outside coop? when do I remove the brooder plate and just use the wall heater? The temp in the room where they are ranges from 82 to 72 with just the wall heater.

Make your coop draft free with ventilation on the upper areas only. Use a lot of bedding to keep them warm or if you have real feather duster hang it to the ceiling so it's floating slightly above ground. They'll stay warm in it.
Love the duster idea! Do they still make them with real feathers? And, whose feathers?😳i dunno what just made me think of that, lol. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom