how will i make my 2 pigeons pair with each other

jhandha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
gud day guys.. hoping for some advices from you :D

i have my pigeon hen and a new pigeon cock that i got from my friend..
i want to pair them and i tried to put them in a cage but they seem to fight and the male is hitting my female with his beak as well as the female on the male..but the make is more dominant than my female... i was worried that the male might seriously hurt my female so i separated them for now...

guys plzz help me..is it normal that the male is to aggresive to win over the female pigeon... i dont now if it is just fine to force them to mate with each other.. plz help me asap

seperate both birds from others out of sight place them in seprate cages side by side for about a week then place the old bird with the new one this is one way are you sure new bird is a hen

Yeahnim very sure that mine is a hen and the other is a cock... thank u for ur advice ill do it sir..

When I first got a mate for my cock this happened. I wasnt sure I had gotten a girl they seemed to fight so much. When I tried seperating them, they both fretted so bad I stuck them together again. Then they began mating so ferociously I ended up seperating them again! This went on for about a week until they settled down.

Thank u sir..and I have this 1 question I really badly nid an answer..if I have a male pigeon and he does not have a partner..is there a posibility dat he would leave my loft and join a loft of other where he finds a female.? Thank u

if it is a raceing homer and not raised in your loft good chance it will just like any homers that you did not raise in your loft if raised in your loft he may fly off to find a mate and leave or bring one home animals are not 100% in there actions

Thank u sir..and I have this 1 question I really badly nid an answer..if I have a male pigeon and he does not have a partner..is there a posibility dat he would leave my loft and join a loft of other where he finds a female.? Thank u

One thing I can predict about pigeons; They are unpredictable. I bought a ♂ adult homing pigeon from a breeder I trust 100 miles away from me. This homer was never flown outside the loft.

Long story short after raising 3 batches of squabs with the pairing I had made he flew home after 4 months in captivity.

I have had ♂ ♀ bring feral pigeons home as mates (or should I say unbanded birds). You are more apt to loose a pigeon to another breeders loft than for it to join a feral pigeon on a roof top.

Ask your self this question do you want a feral to invade you pigeon loft and put your flock at risk???

I personally do not. You can run into enough troubles with out inviting it in buddy.

Another think to keep in mind when releasing pigeons for the first few times always release them hungry (12 hrs without food). That way you have an ace in the hole to encourage them back to your loft for food.

Another fact some (not all) adult homers will never bond to another loft and must be kept prisoner their entire lives if you want to keep them.

On another note: There is one pigeon who was specifically bred to steal pigeons from other fanciers. It is a cross between a homing pigeon and a Pouter (fancy pigeon). It is called a Thief Pouter. The birds were bred to bring home pigeons that were consumed as food originally.

Last edited:
I once lost almost a whole loft of pigeons to a thief pouter, but latter found out it was a thief with arms and not wings. It ended up being a neighbor about 45 miles from my house. It was a thief person. I told him if he would of just asked, I would have given him some pigeons. He apologized, so I just reminded him of the 10 commandments, shook hands, and left him with a few pairs. I personally like thief pouters better than thief persons as I don`t have to quess their true motives.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am a just hatched. That helped me a lot. I learned something again. I wondered what all those buttons were for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom