How young is too young to go into gen-pop?

Too young to be moved to gen-pop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RosieR

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hey friends,
Of my last hatch only 2 chicks servived. They are about 4 weeks old, they have a lot of their feathers, mostly just fluff on their faces now.
I am about to go away for a few days and it would be a lot easier on the person coming in to look after my animals if these little guys could be moved in with the bigs.
I’m expecting highs of 25 to 30c and lows between 15-20c.
Thoughts?

Are they about the same size as the rest of the adults? If anything, you might be able to put them in the coop but I’m a separate area where they can be cared for and given a heat lamp.

Four weeks seems a little young to be out in weather that cold, even for quail.

Are they about the same size as the rest of the adults? If anything, you might be able to put them in the coop but I’m a separate area where they can be cared for and given a heat lamp.

Four weeks seems a little young to be out in weather that cold, even for quail.
Celsius. Is actually 77-86 fahrenheit. :D

That’s at the high end though, on the low end it’s 60-68 Fahrenheit. Most quail can’t regulate their temperature until about 5 weeks, and even then they need the temperature to hover around 70 most of the time. So on the low end, at four weeks, it would be ~59 degrees and since there are only two of them, would be harder for them to use each other to keep themselves warm.

I’m not saying they can’t be kept with the others, but it depends on what size they are. If they’re nearly the same size and as the rest, and you start early to give them time to be able to cuddle up with the others for warmth at night, it should be okay. Just make sure there’s no cold spell that might come in unexpectedly.

That’s at the high end though, on the low end it’s 60-68 Fahrenheit. Most quail can’t regulate their temperature until about 5 weeks, and even then they need the temperature to hover around 70 most of the time. So on the low end, at four weeks, it would be ~59 degrees and since there are only two of them, would be harder for them to use each other to keep themselves warm.

I’m not saying they can’t be kept with the others, but it depends on what size they are. If they’re nearly the same size and as the rest, and you start early to give them time to be able to cuddle up with the others for warmth at night, it should be okay. Just make sure there’s no cold spell that might come in unexpectedly.
True. I didn’t consider the nightly lows.:hmm I put mine outside early but they had a heat plate to use when the wanted.

Sorry to piggy back.. same question here...
It’s been about 66deg lows.. highs 107 on average... is this weather system too much for a 4 week old to be outside then? The lowest it has gotten was 60

I’d argue that if there are plenty of them, say 5, then they might be able to handle 60 degree weather if the coop is warm and secure with no drafts.

However, I really advice giving them some form of heat if possible, 4 weeks means they still don’t have all their under feathers and whatnot.

Thanks @Doublegi .. I was hesitant anyway.. I will hold back ... there are only 3 in an outdoor pen.. the “almost 3 weekers “ are close in size but only 2 of them.. I am currently using my heat plate on some chics... so I will just wait another week or so. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom