Howdy all from Western NC

MomaChe

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
Hi there, new to being an actual member but have been a long time onlooker for any questions I’ve had for my birds.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had chickens but it’s the first since buying my home where we’ve actually been able to build the Dream Coop and have a decent place for them to roam about and have a hopefully really nice life.

I’ve currently got four 17-week-old mystery birds that I’ve been trying to figure out. When I got them they were labeled Blue Beauty somethings and as female. It was a crazy time for chick buying, and if you didn’t get them right then you might be out-of-luck for a while. Anyway, when they were tiny they looked just like California White chicks—yellow fuzzies with black spots. Three have dark grey legs, combs and wattles and one has yellow legs with pink/red comb/wattles. At different points I’ve thought that two might actually be roosters but still no crowing. They might just be bigger hens.

Basically, I have no idea what kind of birds I have and whether or not they’re all hens or not. Hopefully with a few more weeks they should be laying, so I’ll have more of an idea, but until then I’m just left guessing.

I’m currently leaning towards possibly Splash Orpingtons??? Any help greatly appreciated. I’ve included some photos of them in their early days and some as of recently. They really love hanging out on my side porch, so I’ve been busy trying to deter them to the rest of the yard.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 6EF8F925-13ED-43A5-A7F6-93E7B5F09F24.jpeg
    6EF8F925-13ED-43A5-A7F6-93E7B5F09F24.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    901.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi there, new to being an actual member but have been a long time onlooker for any questions I’ve had for my birds.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had chickens but it’s the first since buying my home where we’ve actually been able to build the Dream Coop and have a decent place for them to roam about and have a hopefully really nice life.

I’ve currently got four 17-week-old mystery birds that I’ve been trying to figure out. When I got them they were labeled Blue Beauty somethings and as female. It was a crazy time for chick buying, and if you didn’t get them right then you might be out-of-luck for a while. Anyway, when they were tiny they looked just like California White chicks—yellow fuzzies with black spots. Three have dark grey legs, combs and wattles and one has yellow legs with pink/red comb/wattles. At different points I’ve thought that two might actually be roosters but still no crowing. They might just be bigger hens.

Basically, I have no idea what kind of birds I have and whether or not they’re all hens or not. Hopefully with a few more weeks they should be laying, so I’ll have more of an idea, but until then I’m just left guessing.

I’m currently leaning towards possibly Splash Orpingtons??? Any help greatly appreciated. I’ve included some photos of them in their early years and some as of recently. They really love hanging out on my side porch, so I’ve been busy theming to deter them to the rest of the yard.
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom