Howdy Doody! I got a broody!

You should check daily from now on to make sure she gets off the nest to eat drink and dust bathe. If she doesn't do it on her own, then you should gently lift her off each day to make sure she eats etc, until she gets the hang of it. Most hens do all this by instinct but some need a bit of reminding of what they should do.
Don't be tempted to feed her at the nest. Having water at the nest is okay.
Hens go into a broody trance when sitting on eggs. Should you have to lift her off the nest for a few days it's important that she fully wakes up. Make her stand and preferably run. The usual rountine for me with hens reluctant to leave their nest was place them in front of the food and hey would sink back into sitting, lift them up a bit and back they would sink. Once I had them standing properly they ate whatever I put in front of them. Next came a poop then many would jump into the air and scream, then run off to dust bathe. They all came back to the nest.
Ok i will start this tomorrow. I put water and food near her in the coop. So i should take the food away?

So i just went and got her off the nest and put her by some food outside. She just carried on like i was plucking her feathers. She pecked at the food a bit. Then just walked around clucking loudly for a few minutes than went back to the nest. Does this mean she is likely leaving earlier in the day when im at work? Im tempted to put my baby monitor out there.

Back
Top Bottom