Howdy Y'all, from Northern VA

parttimefarmer

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Northern VA
Hi guys!

I am so excited to finally be a chicken-owner! A little about me:

I live in Northern VA, about an hour west of DC on 12 acres.
I grew up on an ostrich farm in Southern California (BIG chickens, lol!).
I work full-time, and I also run a small farm business on the side. I'm hoping to eventually transition to just farming. I do everything as organically/naturally as possible.
I have 43 laying hens (soon to go down to 30ish) and 15 meat chickens (more meaties on order).

I am relatively new to chickens, though I have the following other farm critters:
3 horses
2 American Guinea Hogs
27 Goats (though 12 or more will be sold in the next few months... anyone want some goats?!)
3 dogs
1 barn cat

I sell goats' milk herd shares, goats' milk soap, soon to sell eggs and meat chickens, and I make my own cheese (though VA law says I can't sell 'raw' milk cheeses unless I age them a certain length of time and lots of other regulations!).

I will have tons of questions, and hope to share tons of information with the other wonderful folks on these forums. Look foward to 'meeting' you all!

Greetings from Kansas, parttimefarmer, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! With all your enterprises you sound more like a full time farmer!
wink.png
Wish I was a couple three states closer to VA - I am thinking of getting some goats! You might post in the VA thread in the link below - might be able to find a goat buyer! Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

welcome-byc.gif
you sound like a FULL time farmer to me lots of critters to care for. I think you need to add an Emu to the bunch - they are more personable than Ostriches I've been told.

Back
Top Bottom