HPAI concerns of a new flock

Hopin

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2023
I live very near a waterfowl refuge with thousands of geese, ducks, and sandhill cranes in the area. I don't have a pond and none alight on my property. My concern is that if keeping my flock safe from AI.
I'm building my run and coop with the intention of keeping sparrows out, but I have concerns about free ranging my chickens in the future. I have neighbors who have free-ranged for years with no problems, I don't think we have ever had a case of AI anywhere near here, and the area is home to many commercial broiler and hatcher operations, and I'm not aware of any AI.
Am I overly concerned?

Yes, High Pathogenic Avian Influenza. After doing more local research, I've discovered we have had confirmed cases in the county, but not in any large operations! I'm thinking it's best to at least keep them up in a covered run during migration season, first of November until first of March or April (depending on the weather).

Good for thinking ahead. Yes, the HPAI will come from the wild birds. Those wild birds could infect your flock when they free range if they come into contact with droppings. So, a covered run during migration is important. Don’t collect rain water from roof runoff bc it too can hold pathogens from wild birds.

The department of Ag will keep tabs on this, and they document all cases/culls. You can find this info online. But, you can also go to your state’s Ag page too, as they will likely post any pertinent info as needed- my state, Ohio, was good about posting info.

Thanks for the replies all! I hadn't thought about rain water collection! I have a neighbor across the field mention collecting rain water, I'll pass on to her why this would be a bad idea in our area, as we have huge flocks of geese fly over our properties nearly daily!
Just got the call from the post office, they have my chicks!

Got home with them, opened the box, only 7 out of 25+ made it to me. 😭
I’m sorry. Make the claim today. Most hatcheries have a refund/replace policy but need to notify them within a certain period of time.

Our first batch of chicks-also a Jan shipment- arrived completely dead. It’s sad. We’ve had 2-3 other shipments arrive completely healthy.

We have an order in for an August shipment later this year. A bit worried bc heat can do them in too, all depends on the carrier situation.

I did, and was reimbursed promptly. Good news is they are all doing fantastic so far!
I was prepared for a few losses, just not that many! Now I have to hope for pullets. By spring it'll be obvious if I need to order more chicks, as I was shooting for about 6 hens and culling the roosters for the fry pan.

Back
Top Bottom