Humidity at hatching for Chukar

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
I had a fantastic Bob White quail hatch. If it was fully formed it hatched.
big_smile.png

After looking at a whole lot of unhatched Chukar lots died right after pipping or just before, it looks like I drowned then.....
sad.png
hit.gif
he.gif

So...hopefully the 1/2 dozen I have I will be able to raise to breeding age. If I manage that without killing them off what humidity level do they need at hatch time?

I was told to keep it high like you would for quail. To me, that means 65%+. I did that, and still had chukars that were stuck and needed help. So I would say at least 65%, higher if you can get it.

Also Hatch Them Up Right--- Set 'em In An Egg Tray In Your Hatcher--- Small End Down And Let Them Hatch That Way-- You'll Get A Better Hatch Rate.

Thank you farrier for asking that question. I am hatching chukar eggs for the first time... Now I learned something more about hatching them. Maybe your question saved them:)

I have to tell ya I have had the BEST hatches when I forget the darn eggs in the turner.... I come home to lotsa little peeping birdies... and half the time the darm water containers are emtpy.... when I cottle the eggs, add water, and take them outta the turner I seem to have more issues with the babies drowning and not making it out, sticky chicks.... I am convinced that my method is set and forget!!!!

Also I wanna know, how does a hen regulate humidity? I understand the temp regulations but I dont have ANY idea how a hen can tell how many times she has turned a egg in a day (not to mention which direction she turned the things in!) and the one that baffles me the most is HOW in the world does a hen UP the humidity? does she pee does she sweat... I mean seriously.... I think we all worry way to much about the little things.

I think that the thing most people forget is that if you keep the humidity at about 40 when the chicks start hatching and drying off they add mositure to the air... they will raise the humididty them selves...

I am learning that the most important thing of all is to NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO THE INCY!!!! that drys the eggs out making sticky chicks!!!

I have found when I have a hatch going that if I just plan to not be home for the WHOLE DAY, I get better results!

well good luck!

Last edited:
I just removed 3 quail chicks from the incubator. I rolled the eggs around midnight. Had not checked the dates on the eggs....
smile.png

They seem happy and bouncy.

Back
Top Bottom