Humidity concern

Jesig

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 31, 2014
Hello all, looking for a bit of advice...this is my first time hatching. I have a dozen chicken eggs on lockdown (started yesterday) and I added a second little dish of water to the incubator to increase humidity. I noticed it wasnt increasing on the guage so I plugged a few of the air flow holes and it STILL isnt staying above 44% for extended periods of time. I am using one of the styrofoam little giants and regrettably relying on the hydrometer that came with it. Lesson learned!! Im not sure the hydrometer is accurate although it has been reliable with temperature thus far. The glass panes are foggy so I believe it is retaining more moisture than the guage indicates. They are due to hatch tomorrow and I haven't seen any pipping yet or much movement...I could be paranoid.

Again, this is my first time incubating and I certainly learned my lesson about not having my own hydrometer. Is there anything I can or should do at this point? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hello all, looking for a bit of advice...this is my first time hatching. I have a dozen chicken eggs on lockdown (started yesterday) and I added a second little dish of water to the incubator to increase humidity. I noticed it wasnt increasing on the guage so I plugged a few of the air flow holes and it STILL isnt staying above 44% for extended periods of time. I am using one of the styrofoam little giants and regrettably relying on the hydrometer that came with it. Lesson learned!! Im not sure the hydrometer is accurate although it has been reliable with temperature thus far. The glass panes are foggy so I believe it is retaining more moisture than the guage indicates. They are due to hatch tomorrow and I haven't seen any pipping yet or much movement...I could be paranoid.

Again, this is my first time incubating and I certainly learned my lesson about not having my own hydrometer. Is there anything I can or should do at this point? Feedback is greatly appreciated.
One, NEVER EVER EVER rely on the bator gages, especially the cheaper styro bators, Two, if you are seeing condensation you are WAY above 44% and condensation isn't really a good thing. So let a little air in to clear up the windows and just keep the water wells full, and I recommend using a couple new-wet sponges versus dishes (unless they are under the grate) to add humidity. After the hatch, I would definitely get a new hygrometer and test it for accuracy before doing another hatch. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thank you thank you! Now I'm super anxious to get home and unplug them, I'm worried sick I'll drown them! I will certainly purchase a new hydrometer asap. Thanks for the help...hope its not too late

Thank you thank you! Now I'm super anxious to get home and unplug them, I'm worried sick I'll drown them! I will certainly purchase a new hydrometer asap. Thanks for the help...hope its not too late
If you still have your vent plugs in, you should unplug them for hatch anyway. I actually don't even have my vent plugs. Mine are open the whole incubation unless I need to jump my humidity or temp, then it's just for a few minutes.

Thanks, I didnt have them in the first part but put them in when I thought the humidity wasn't right. Grrrrr....I SO hope they are ok!

Thanks, I didnt have them in the first part but put them in when I thought the humidity wasn't right. Grrrrr....I SO hope they are ok!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom