Humidity dropped drastically during incubation

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

I’m incubating quail eggs for the first time ever and have a quick question. I’m on day 6 of the incubation. Last night, the humidity was at around 52% and I forgot to add more water for the night, I also figured it wouldn’t drop too much overnight because it hasn’t the first 5 nights. But when I woke up this morning it was at 20%. I feel terrible! Do you think my birds could’ve survive this? I got it back up to 50% now, but was hoping for some advice. Thanks in advance!

I'm having humidity issues myself..finely figured exactly the happy spot on water. So far candling looks good. Just candle them in a couple days and have a look see. I wish they had a magical incubator that ran perfectly..and didn't cost my right arm😳

They'll be fine. Coturnix quail incubate best at lower humidity. About 30% is ideal. 50-60% is high enough at lockdown too.
Thank you! It’s interesting to see the wide range of humidity percentages that are considered acceptable. It’s very confusing for those of us starting out because it seems like everyone has a different answer when it comes to humidity 😅

Thank you! It’s interesting to see the wide range of humidity percentages that are considered acceptable. It’s very confusing for those of us starting out because it seems like everyone has a different answer when it comes to humidity 😅
I know the feeling. I started with the recommended 50-60% humidity for my first two hatches, and had a lot of curled toes. After I lowered the humidity during incubation, the curled toe issue went away. My hatch rates got better too.

I know the feeling. I started with the recommended 50-60% humidity for my first two hatches, and had a lot of curled toes. After I lowered the humidity during incubation, the curled toe issue went away. My hatch rates got better too.
Good to know - thanks!

I agree with @Nabiki , 30% for Cots, Bob's, Blues, Gambles, Valleys and Mountain quail should be around 40 to 45%Rh. 50 to 60% Rh at 'lockdown' is adequate....going higher only creates more problems/issues.

Depending on your ambient humidity and the particular incubator your using, you will just have to experiment with adding water to keep the Rh where you want it. Ideally, this should have been done before incubating any eggs, 'dry runs'....to have an idea of how your incubator responds to water being added and for making adjustment to temp and Rh.
Are you using a 'salt test' calibrated hygrometer and accurate thermometer(s)?
Never relie on the OEM sensors, they are notoriously inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom