Humidity for high altitude

i have a humidity meter to judge how much water to add. It varies every time depending on the eggs and it is impossible to maintain an exact humidity so +- 50% is ideal I find, sometimes humidity goes over to 60% for a day so i try to lower it to 40% for the next.
The humidity can vary quite a bit but one should keep an eye on the air cell size by candling the eggs periodically, the air cell development is the best guide to tell if the incubator is running too dry or too wet so it is good to get used to what the air cell size should look like on the days throughout incubation or even better is to weigh the eggs but you need jewellers scales, ie very precise. an egg should lose roughly 13% over the 21 day incubation period so you can work out what 13% of the original weight is and then divide that by 21 days to get the water loss the egg should achieve every day. Then keep a log every day and work out if the egg is losing too much or too little. If it is losing too much moisture humidity needs to be raised slighly and vice versa

i have a humidity meter to judge how much water to add. It varies every time depending on the eggs and it is impossible to maintain an exact humidity so +- 50% is ideal I find, sometimes humidity goes over to 60% for a day so i try to lower it to 40% for the next.
The humidity can vary quite a bit but one should keep an eye on the air cell size by candling the eggs periodically, the air cell development is the best guide to tell if the incubator is running too dry or too wet so it is good to get used to what the air cell size should look like on the days throughout incubation or even better is to weigh the eggs but you need jewellers scales, ie very precise. an egg should lose roughly 13% over the 21 day incubation period so you can work out what 13% of the original weight is and then divide that by 21 days to get the water loss the egg should achieve every day. Then keep a log every day and work out if the egg is losing too much or too little. If it is losing too much moisture humidity needs to be raised slighly and vice versa
Thank you for your help! I do watch the air cells during incubation so I will be able to make adjustments! I moved from sea level to 6000 ft above.. so the first year I hatched up here was a complete fail because I didn't make adjustments for the altitude and lower humidity we have up here!

Back
Top Bottom