humidity in little giant

ihavechicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Cypress Inn, TN
How do I get the humidity levels to raise in a little Giant with still air? I can't get it above 47%. I currently have a cup of water in there trying to raise it but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I'd like to follow this post. I have 2 home made ones a Styrofoam cooler and 10g fish tank and I can't get the levels to rise either. I have a cup of water with paper towel in it to pull the water up and put but it won't go above 50-60% and I've got to have 75% in the hatchery...

How do I get the humidity levels to raise in a little Giant with still air? I can't get it above 47%. I currently have a cup of water in there trying to raise it but it doesn't seem to be helping.
I'm assuming that you are wanting the humidity higher for lockdown/hatch, as higher for the first 17 days is not a good thing? I use a couple of sponges in mine for lockdown. Sometimes I add a small dish to the corner under the screen filled as well because I shoot for 75% at hatch time. Anything that increases the surface area of water/moisture should increase the humidity. A wet cloth placed in the incubator can help as well, but I find the sponges highly effective.

Yes it's for lock down. I put 2 sponges in cups and covered the entire thing with a towel. Currently I'm at 55 and slowly rising. Fingers crossed this works.

Yes it's for lock down. I put 2 sponges in cups and covered the entire thing with a towel. Currently I'm at 55 and slowly rising. Fingers crossed this works.
fl.gif

Hello I am also using the little giant to incubate chick eggs. Lockdown is a few days away, how big are the sponges that you used and what do you think about using ice cube trays? I need to raise the humidity.

Hello I am also using the little giant to incubate chick eggs. Lockdown is a few days away, how big are the sponges that you used and what do you think about using ice cube trays? I need to raise the humidity.
I just use the nomal cleaning sized sponges. Ice cube trays where? I don't like open containers above the floor at chick level. I'm paranoid about drowning or them knocking it over dousing the other eggs. Anything you can use under the floor or out of the reach of hatched chicks to increase surface area would be fine. I find that filling my water wells (plus I have a little bowl in the corner under the screen I fill) and the 2-3 sponges keep my humidity where I want it and during lockdown/hatch if it starts going down I just pull out a sponge and rewet it.

Back
Top Bottom