Humidity Questions - First Time Hatcher :)

Shan30

Songster
8 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Vancouver island
I am currently calibrating my Air Circulated Hova Bator and just ran out and bought a hygrometer which I am also calibrating.

As I have never hatched in an incubator before, so I have some questions.

We live on Vancouver Island (BC, Canada) and this time of year the humidity outside is high (65-95%). I would guess interior humidity to be around 50% and will know for sure once the hygrometer is ready to rock.

If the humidity in the house does turn out to be around 50%, should I be adding any water to the incubator? Or just wait for lockdown to do so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would guess that you can use the Dry Hatch Method since your humidity is that high already. Check out the Learning Center for info on Dry Hatch Method. Good Luck with your hatches!

I would keep humidity low--I personally dont go over 35% until lockdown. I lockdown no higher than 65%. When I first started hatching I lost many babies to drowning--have never lost one due to shrink wrapping--I've hatched over 250 chicks in the past 3 yrs.

Thank you both! I calibrated the hygrometer overnight and placed it in the incubator when I left for work this morning. When I get home this evening I will check it out. I wonder if between the fan and the heat, the humidity will be lower in the incubator.

The temp spiked yesterday to 104 ad I realized that I was because of the sun shining in the window heating the room. The incubator is not in the sunlight. So I covered the window with a blanket. Other than in that heat it has remained steady around 100. If the humidity looks good and the temps have stayed steady with the window covered, I'm going to add the eggs tonight. I think... very nervous.

You'll be fine, just keep an eye on them.

Thank you. I sure hope so. The eggs are just from a mixed pen, White Chantecler rooster over Blue and Black Ameraucana hens and a couple pure Chantecler eggs. I will just feel awful if I kill them. Keep saying I'll sell them but...heck what's a few mutts mixed in. Plus I'm betting the mix will make some very winter hardy Easter eggers :).

If you find the humidity is higher than ideal you could run a dehumidifier in the room a few hours a day. I have found that seasonal weather changes mean I have to adjust to keep ideal humidity levels for hatching. A room that doesn't fluctuate or vary with outside temperatures is usually best for incubating. Good Luck and I'm sure the chicks will be adorable!

If you find the humidity is higher than ideal you could run a dehumidifier in the room a few hours a day. I have found that seasonal weather changes mean I have to adjust to keep ideal humidity levels for hatching. A room that doesn't fluctuate or vary with outside temperatures is usually best for incubating. Good Luck and I'm sure the chicks will be adorable!

The dehumidifier is a great idea but it won't be necessary :) humidity is sitting at 35% in the incubator. Problem is temps hit 38 Celsius today while I was at work. Sorry that's 102.2 Fahrenheit. Too warm right? This is so much easier with a broody! Our house is mostly glass so it's hard to control temps. The room is on the sunny side of the house but that room only has three windows as opposed to six to twelve in the others. I'm going to set up a fan for tomorrow pushing air out of the room. Hopefully that will level things out. I will keep you posted and hope it turns out . I really appreciate the advice from everyone. So nice that your willing to lend your extensive advice to a stranger!

That's great! I think your eggs are fine. I have a automatic incubator that is in Celsius and 38 C is only 100.40 F so, that is still OK. I have mine set so, if it gets to 38.5C or 101.30 the alarm will go off. 37.5 C is 99.5 F Also remember that while the heater in the incubator turns on and off the ambient air temp which the thermometer is reading may flux some but the eggs internal temp doesn't change so fast. You could put in some heat-sinks in the incubator which will help the temp not swing so much. I use a glass jar with the lid on it, filled with warm water as a heat-sink. Also is your thermometer at egg level in the incubator? Good Luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom