Hurt duck foot....pictures

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
Anyone have any ideas? She is limping, her foot is not hot, she is a Buff, not sure how old as she was given to me. Not sure what to do for her. It is on the right in the picture.

Bottom:

It doesn't look like bumblefoot from the underneath, but the puffy area does closely resemble the kind of internal infection that you can get with bumblefoot - the area round the heel swells up and that protrudes out the top of the foot. I don't think it's bumblefoot though. Infections in the foot can also be caused by a puncture wound that can be too small to easily notice. When you look really closely at the back of her foot and round her hind toe, do you see anything that might be an entry point, where a sharp object may have spiked her? If it is an infection then antibiotics (the kind you get from a vet) are the way to go.

Other possibilities are a break in the toe back near the heel, causing inflammation. I'd carefully and gently examine her toes to see if that is possible. But I'd mainly be examining very very closely for a tiny puncture wound. You may not even be able to see anything if it is between scales.

I will look really closely today for a small puncture.

Antibiotics from a vet......I am not sure there are any vets around here that will see her. I do know of one a few cities over, so I may have to see if I can get her in there.......are they liquid kind? Or pill? Doesn't sound very fun either way!!!

Thank you for your reply!

Antibiotics for foot infections can be given in injection form (eg once a week for a number of weeks) or else tablets (eg daily for 30 days). I've been given Baytril tablets for a puncture wound in the foot and some kind of injectable antibiotic for bumblefoot (both treated successfully). I had to inject the duck every week for 6 weeks at home after the vet showed me how to do it. Medication would depend on what kind of infection the vet thought it was. Unfortunately, if it is an infection, then a vet visit is the best option. If its Bumblefoot there are ways of operating on that yourself but it's not clear that that's what it is, so I wouldn't go cutting into it.

Let us know how you go with the close look at it. :)

In the meantime, you can make a warm compress with Epsom salts and water. Use a clean rag or paper towels and add a few tablespoons of Epsom salts to a quarter to half a cup of warm water. Soak the rag in the solution, and (you may need help) pick the duck up, wrap the foot with the rag, and (hard part) hold the wrapped foot for up to five minutes. I used a shallow dish and even held the dish up under the foot to be sure to get a good soak. Sometimes Romy was done after three minutes, but if you can do that twice a day at least until you get antibiotics, it might help a little bit. I would also follow that with topical antibiotic ointment, anything to try to get the swelling down and some antibiotic to working at the site of the infection, which I assume it is based on the photo.

Hugs to you both!

Back
Top Bottom