Hurt goose feather causing pain what to do

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
Hi guys! One of our goslings took a tumble into the little paddling pool as she’s quite clumsy and really hurt her wing getting out 😢 she can move it but there’s an awkwardly placed feather that seems to be very painful for her when I touch it and her squeals sound quite hoarse so I’m very worried and unsure how to handle it! The twisted feather is the one at the bottom sticking out a bit. What should I do?
IMG_5370.jpeg

In my experience, i watch them, and see if it affects there daily ways (i guess i would call it) normally that things fixes itself with time, but if not i would look into removing it.

Last edited:
In my experience, i watch them, and see if it affects there daily ways i guess i would call it. normally that things fixes itself with time, but if not i would look into removing it.
I’ll take that into consideration and see how she is tomorrow 😢 hopefully it just comes off itself and heals fine

If you are able to manipulate her wing/ confident that she hasn’t broken anything, I (personally) would take a small pair of pliers, a very firm grip on that wing with one hand, the feather w the pliers (close to where it comes out of her wing) and pull it like you mean it-
Think about pulling a nose hair. You don’t want to have to try a second time 😂

If the shaft is cracked up inside the wing, you would likely be seeing blood by now.
I lost a Turkey that way- he lost a fight and cracked a wing feather just above where I could grab a hold of it to pull the rest of the shaft out, and syptic/ bleed stop can’t stop the bleeding from a feather....

I would also add some Durvet B to her water if she is that “clumsy”. Sounds like a niacin deficiency may be going on as well. I’m going through that w one of my ducklings rn.

Do you have them on and supplemental B complex?
What are you feeding?
Any other symptoms?

In my experience, i watch them, and see if it affects there daily ways i guess i would call it. normally that things fixes itself with time, but if not i would look into removing it.
I hate to cull but will if I have to.
An injury like this, however, IMO is no reason to jump to that!!!

Esp for a Sepastopol!!!
Those are very much worth working on 😬 lots of $ invested before you even start to feed them!!

If you are able to manipulate her wing/ confident that she hasn’t broken anything, I (personally) would take a small pair of pliers, a very firm grip on that wing with one hand, the feather w the pliers (close to where it comes out of her wing) and pull it like you mean it-

If the shaft is cracked up inside the wing, you would likely be seeing blood by now.
I lost a Turkey that way- he lost a fight and cracked a wing feather just above where I could grab a hold of it to pull the rest of the shaft out, and syptic/ bleed stop can’t stop the bleeding from a feather....

I would also add some Durvet B to her water if she is that “clumsy”. Sounds like a niacin deficiency may be going on as well. I’m going through that w one of my ducklings rn.

What are you feeding?
Any other symptoms?

What are you feeding?
Any other symptoms?
Oof that’s scary.. and I wouldn’t necessarily call it a worrying kind of clumsy, more like she gets excited when she thinks she sees lettuce and doesn’t watch where she’s going! But I’ll take it into consideration, it’s a little pool embedded in the ground and our other gosling was behind her when she went in and it shocked her so she thrashed around a bit 😢
They’re on fancy feed waterfowl grower pellets at the moment and also eating grass and lettuce.
Our other gosling gets the same exact treatment and he’s been fine but I might introduce more niacin anyway as we do have some yeast flakes that I could sprinkle on their fave foods.
As for other symptoms it’s only been about half an hour and she’s been laying down a lot but so has our other one since it’s late and they’ve had fun running around and swimming today so quite tired out. I’ll see how she is in the morning and get back, and hopefully maybe yank that feather out if I can get a good look at it.

Back
Top Bottom