Hurt goose- need advice!

She did not start bleeding again (that I can see) but she will not put any weight on her one leg. She still "chirps" like a baby when she is happy , so I think she is feeling ok. Right now she is resting. It is so strange how the other geese can navigate the ice and mine look like some kind of cartoon sliding and falling over. It makes me think that geese must have a pretty advance form of communication. They all "talk" to each other and teach each other. Mine were abandoned as eggs, and they were raised in the house for months, so they don't seem to speak the language. It's kind of sad, but I'm amazed at how resilient and sweet they are!!
They need their parents to teach them the ropes and you being their parents can't do that. I'm glad she seems to be okay hopefully with rest her leg will heal fine I'm sure it's very sore especially if there is a cut. Thanks for updating and let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

Is there anyway you can bring her brother in by her?
I find mine do better about eating when with their companions.
Possibly seeing the ones that feel ok eating motivates them to participate.
Linda ,
Reebok, Oliver And Piper

Is there anyway you can bring her brother in by her?
I find mine do better about eating when with their companions.
Possibly seeing the ones that feel ok eating motivates them to participate.
Linda ,
Reebok, Oliver And Piper
Update- I put her outside in my fenced in part of the yard and let her visit with her brother. She is finally eating a LITTLE bit of grass.
bow.gif

She has stayed in the garage the past two nights and I will definitely keep her there again until she is better. She can put a tiny bit of weight on the hurt leg (but not much). I have been thinking about her injuries and I think that she might have gotten her foot stuck in the ice and hurt her leg pulling it out...or she slipped on the ice and pulled or broke something. The cuts are fine, but her leg is obviously still injured.

Update- I put her outside in my fenced in part of the yard and let her visit with her brother. She is finally eating a LITTLE bit of grass.
bow.gif

She has stayed in the garage the past two nights and I will definitely keep her there again until she is better. She can put a tiny bit of weight on the hurt leg (but not much). I have been thinking about her injuries and I think that she might have gotten her foot stuck in the ice and hurt her leg pulling it out...or she slipped on the ice and pulled or broke something. The cuts are fine, but her leg is obviously still injured.
That's great news. hopefully each day she'll be a little stronger ,good idea to keep her out of the pond, rest is the best thing for her. I bet she was happy to see her brother. Looks like a beautiful place you have there. Thanks for the update.
If you feel something might be broken I'd not let her try to walk to much give it a chance to heal.

I spoke too soon... I'm so sad. She hobbled her way to the pond and won't come out. Ugh. I know I'm going to be up all night worrying.

I spoke too soon... I'm so sad. She hobbled her way to the pond and won't come out. Ugh. I know I'm going to be up all night worrying.
Is there a chance she is going to get iced in? That's too bad, I think if you get her you should keep her up till she is completely healed

Any update?
Thanks so much for asking. As expected, I was up multiple times during the night listening for any problems. At 2:30am I looked out the door and saw a fox (most likely the one that OPENED my chicken coop door and ate my rooster last week)...He is SLY. He was hanging over the water....My geese are used to my small dog, so I think they thought he was harmless. Needless to say I was out there in a heartbeat and coaxed Lucy (my girl goose)out of the pond. I put her in the garage for the rest of the night. This morning I brought Lucky (brother) in with her, but when I went to check on them he was wandering around the garage picking at my husband expensive car....(He would freak out if he knew). So- needless to say, he is outside with the "wild" crew. The pond is almost frozen again (it had thawed yesterday) so now he has to figure out how to maneuver the ice again. I hope he ok. Lucy is mostly resting. She still has barely eaten and barely poops, but she seems in good spirits. I would bring her in the house but I'm afraid it would be too warm.

Back
Top Bottom