Hurt wing

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
20220413_194916.jpg

Last night our biggest hen fell from the very top of our roost and landed on her wing. She made a funny noise when it happened, and her wing was sagging down. She was able to jump back up where she fell but she didnt really use her wing. This morning she was the last one out of the coop, and he wing is still sagging, but not as bad as last night. She can run normally because she escaped our rooster this morning, and she can jump still, but i think she hurt her wing. What should I do since it doesnt seem to be effecting her, but it might hurt

You will need Vetrap, and medical tape to keep everything in place. If you have a wider roll of vetrap, cut it in half down the middle. Then, cut enough to wrap around the chicken. Here is the picture of what it should look like. Separate her from the other chickens just for a day and get her used to the vetrap. This will help to get the wing-back in place. Wrap the vetrap only around the hurt wing, and leave the other wing free to flap. Don't make the vetrap too tight, but tight enough to feel firm. With the medical tape, tape the vetrap in some places to make sure everything stays in place. After everything is on, check to see if the vetrap is covering any of her crop. (Chest bump), then check to see if it's interfering with or touching her vent/legs. Leave the wrap on for three days. Then, take it off and let her wing breathe. You may even want to let it breathe after three days. Then, if necessary, as it probably will be, put the wrap on for another few days. But make sure every two or three days it breathes. You will need to help her get into the nesting boxes every night, or wherever she sleeps if she is having trouble. Just make sure to offer extra assistance during this time. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 8.12.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 8.12.15 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 8.17.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 8.17.12 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I'd be tempted to remove the rooster from the flock until she heals.
I agree, I'd pen the rooster separately so she can heal in peace, leaving her with her flock so she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order.
Roosters are so much easier to just put back in a flock instead of separated hen.

I would not wrap the wing, give her a few days to see if it will resolve on it's own.

Wrapping can be stressful and cumbersome on a bird.

I agree, I'd pen the rooster separately so she can heal in peace, leaving her with her flock so she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order.
Roosters are so much easier to just put back in a flock instead of separated hen.

I would not wrap the wing, give her a few days to see if it will resolve on it's own.

Wrapping can be stressful and cumbersome on a bird.
Oh ok. I did this for mine when a raccoon got it and it was better within 7 days. But you're probably correct!

Back
Top Bottom