Hurtful words

queenturkeygirl

Songster
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
usa
Idk if this post goes here. Well anyway...

What do you say to people who say “chickens aren’t pets” ? Or if a chicken bites you and their immediate response is “eat him! Kill him!”

Like one, yeaaa they are pets!

And two, usually when an animal bites you it’s because you invaded their territory or they feel threatened not because it’s a bad animal. In fact almost any animal will bite when you threaten them

I don’t know... maybe I’m just overthinking this because my hen is dying:hit

:hugs Chickens are great pets. They are always happy to see you (just on the off chance you have treats) and it is definitely heartbreaking when you lose one. We still miss our little Pixie and Anna, two gorgeous Old English Game Bantams we lost more than a year ago. The two we have left aren't as friendly and sweet as they were (we still love them though). I'm sorry your hen is dying. :hugs

Don't let other people's ignorance make you feel bad for loving your birds.

All my chickens r my pets. I come from a large family and I have 4 sons all of them know how much I love my chickens and they are very sympathetic when I lose one. When I cry because I lost one my husband is right there consoling me. They call me the crazy chicken lady but it’s all in fun. Love your chickens and cry for the ones you lose and to hell with anyone else that doesn’t understand. All of us here know what your going thru.

What do you say to people who say “chickens aren’t pets” ? Or if a chicken bites you and their immediate response is “eat him! Kill him!”

And two, usually when an animal bites you it’s because you invaded their territory or they feel threatened not because it’s a bad animal. In fact almost any animal will bite when you threaten them

Point out that in some cultures they eat DOGS!!!!! see what they say, to me my chickens are a utility animal I may treat them almost as a pet but I make sure I keep a half step away from loving them as a pet to be able to cook mine and eat it. I don't eat my cat or dog.

1) Well, they're pets to me!

2) What idiot equates a chicken pecking with an attack that requires that the animal be put down???? I've been pecked plenty. Never a drop of blood shed! In one case I finally figured out that my VERY red polished toes looked like food. Should I have killed a healthy egg-laying chicken for my own mistake of not wearing socks or close-toed shoes???

I say -- if your timid pecked friend actually survived -- that you recommend they develop a thicker skin or stay on the other side of the enclosure.

So sorry to hear about your ailing chicken.

Sorry your hen is in bad shape, what is wrong with her?

The vet doesn’t 100% know. But she’s got a swollen butt. It’s not water belly (at least not in my opinion, the chickens that I’ve had that had water belly didn’t look/act/feel the way she does)
Could she have a stuck egg? Warm sitz bath in epsom salt added to water may help.

Back
Top Bottom