Hybrid Chicks! What Breeds and Gender?

Bawk_Choy

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Hello! I'm new to BYC. I thought I would share some pictures of my four hybrid chicks that are about 5.5 weeks old, so you can enjoy guessing their genders and breeds with me. Parents are all pure breeds, and chicks are hybrids.

Chick 1:
Breed: Blue Andalusian and Ameraucana (only chick I know the breed for sure)

She has a black and yellow comb, and black legs. Her feathers are black with slight lacing that show brown in the sun. She is starting to get her cheek feathers in.
View attachment 2255372

Chick 2:
Breed: unknown (maybe Blue Jersey Giant and ???)

She has a black single comb, slate gray legs, and nice blue feathers. Some of her wing feathers are white.
View attachment 2255389

Chick 3:
Breed: unknown (similar to chick 2)

She had black legs and a black comb (guessing pea). She is darker than chick 2, but lighter then chick 1. She is slightly larger with thicker legs and was a lot slower to feather out. I thought she was a roo, but no red comb or wattles so I'm thinking a pullet now. She could be Blue Jersey Giant, which I read take longer to mature.
View attachment 2255397

Chick 4:
Breed: unknown. Guessing Speckled Sussex and ??? (Ameraucana or EE)

She has white legs, and a flat comb (pea?). The comb has just started to show some red, but I'm still thinking pullet. The majority of her feathers look like a Specked Sussex, except some brown wing feathers and her fancy "necklace". The lacing on her neck and flat comb make me think Ameraucana.

View attachment 2255396

I'd love to hear your guesses too!

All of your guesses seem pretty close! First ones look like girls but last one is for sure a little Easter Egger cockerel, I hope you're in a place/position to keep him cause when he feathers out!! Wow he's gonna be pretty!! :D

All of your guesses seem pretty close! First ones look like girls but last one is for sure a little Easter Egger cockerel, I hope you're in a place/position to keep him cause when he feathers out!! Wow he's gonna be pretty!! :D

Thanks! We're really hoping the last one is a female. We can't have roos, but I have friends that can provide a nice home if needed. It's our favorite chick that we call "nice chick" , because it's so sweet and tame.

Thanks! We're really hoping the last one is a female. We can't have roos, but I have friends that can provide a nice home if needed. It's our favorite chick that we call "nice chick" , because it's so sweet and tame.

I found the roosters are always our favorites :'( the coloration I have never seen in a female and the Combs pretty red for that age, I really think it's a boy, sorry :'(

I found the roosters are always our favorites :'( the coloration I have never seen in a female and the Combs pretty red for that age, I really think it's a boy, sorry :'(

The comb was completely flat almost non-existent until this last week. You're right it is a bit large and red for the age. Thank you again! I'll post updates as they get older.

It would be nice if we had a list of potential mothers and fathers of the chicks

The list is pretty long for the last three :)

Roosters: EE, blue jersey giant, and black sex link

Hens: black sex link, ameraucana, cream legbar, buff Orphington, lavender Orphington, speckled Sussex, black Australorp, golden moltted Java, white Brahma, welsummer, golden laced Wyandotte, silver laced Wyandotte, RIR, and. barred rock.

For Chick 4 it has a Walnut comb, the only way to get that is breeding a rose comb with a pea comb. Anybody correct me if I am wrong, so with that info, I would say SLW based on the silver lacing on the neck, and the EE father had dominant red.

Chick 2 I think is the Blue Jersey Giant with the Lavender Orpington, because it is the lightest blue chick out there.

Chick 3 Depending on the color of the Ameraucauna I would say it was mixed with either the BJG or the BSL rooster

For Chick 4 it has a Walnut comb, the only way to get that is breeding a rose comb with a pea comb. Anybody correct me if I am wrong, so with that info, I would say SLW based on the silver lacing on the neck, and the EE father had dominant red.

Chick 2 I think is the Blue Jersey Giant with the Lavender Orpington, because it is the lightest blue chick out there.

Chick 3 Depending on the color of the Ameraucauna I would say it was mixed with either the BJG or the BSL rooster

Oh fun! I didn't consider the lavender Orphington could be causing the light feathering on Chick 2, or SLW for Chick 4's neck feathers.

I don't see a Walnut comb, it does look like a large pea/ee comb though :D

Back
Top Bottom