Hybrid Chicks! What Breeds and Gender?

Pea comb
1595377929082.png

Walnut comb, the walnut comb is medium-sized solid comb, and gets its name from the characteristic that is on it’s surface which is similar to the appearance of a walnut shell. It was genetically derived from two dominant alleles for the rose and pea combs.
1595378032959.png

Easter Eggers are usually mix breeds and may not show show quality examples in things like combs, but the color, size and shape of it make me feel like you have a little EE cockerel there :D the comb should keep developing and grow a little bit as he gets older, my EE roosters and roosters my friend has had started out the same and grew into pea combs or similar looking small combs : )

It doesn't look like either a walnut or a pea to me yet. Maybe a cushion (I had to look it up)?
It could be a cushion comb, but it would need to have the "smooth" genetic, which eliminates the creases and other stuff on thee comb.

Easter Eggers are usually mix breeds and may not show show quality examples in things like combs, but the color, size and shape of it make me feel like you have a little EE cockerel there :D the comb should keep developing and grow a little bit as he gets older, my EE roosters and roosters my friend has had started out the same and grew into pea combs or similar looking small combs : )
This is all true, but even at a younger stage my buckeye cockerel, and my two Ameraucana had very noticeable ridges that indicated a pea comb.

Adding an updated pic of Chick 1. The comb is slightly pink, but mostly yellow. Curious if this changes anyone's opinions on the gender. Also, since the chick is half Blue Andalusian from what I understand even the females will have very large red combs. Chick is still ~5.5 weeks old in the picture.

Screenshot_20200722-104931.png

Back
Top Bottom