Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis from chicken coop. Where do I go from here?

You're in Tennesee, that's a pretty warm climate, right? If I were you I would build an open-air coop or tractor. That way it won't get damp and moldy. There are lots of good designs here on BYC.

well gang, just got back for dr number 2. He said that I have a severe allergy flair up. I was given some stronger antihistamines
to calm my allergies down and feel much better. As for the chickens, he said that he has lots of patients that raise chickens
and never have become sick from them. The weather here has actually caused lots of people to come in with allergy
issues where usually they don't have any. So really the weather was more the culprit then working on an old coop, but that did not help either.

He said it would even raise chicness if he had the time to give to it.

As for the previous diagnosis of Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis, that is something that is more common with people
who raise chickens in the factory setting. My 14 hens would not create enough threat to actually promote a chronic
medical condition such as that. He feel the previous dr was a bit biased and should not have recommended such
extremes. Had this been an indoor cat or dog, the situation would have been different, but since the chickens
are outdoor the exposure to sustain a medical condition as previously diagnose would be difficult.

He stressed wearing a mask and so forth which I will make sure I do for now on. Lesson learned.

So there you go, the old coop will be torn down by hubby and burned this fall. As for now, I don't mess with it
anymore. We will look at building another one to replace it next spring.

thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the support from this community, it was really scary there for a little while. So glad its only allergies that have been aggravated by the very, very, very wet and humid weather we have had here.

It sounds to me as though the mold and dust in the old coop got to you, not the chickens. Burn it down and build new, but not a coop kit. Look at modifying a garden shed instead. Mary

yes, it gets pretty hot here and humid. How secure are the open air coops to predator? I looked at those before we built the coop that we currently have. I was a bit reluctant to get one because they looked rather opportunistic to predators.

Here is my current set up. It work well, the girls have plenty of room to roam. There is an attached outdoor pen under the tree, and
I let them run in the backyard when I am home. When I am out or gone I don't let them free range.

I'm glad you got a second opinion from someone with some sense. I agree to burn the old coop, and don't be around the smoke while your honey does that--you don't need to inhale any spores, etc.

I had a stem cell transplant in Feb and am still on immune suppressants. At first, the docs told me no chickens until 6 months post transplant---
roll.png
. I also lasted about 3 weeks before I was in the coop. I always wear a mask when I'm inside my coop. My coop is a large walk-in affair and Honey added some more ventilation for me.

When we built new pens, we used an open concept. Our weather here is overall pretty temperate. Down to just above 0 in the winter, low triple digits in summer. I don't feel my birds need an enclosed space for the elements, just protection from predators. We went with cattle panels in a hoop style covered with a tarp. It's in a sheltered area so it's protected from a lot of wind, etc. this keeps airflow moving and disperses the dander, etc that builds up in an enclosed coop. Here are some pics, not the greatest but you kind of get the idea.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1003092/my-breeding-pens

Back
Top Bottom