Hypochodriacs. Do you know any?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
The title says it all. Do you know anyone that thinks that they are sick all the time? Do you have a co-worker who spends more time at the doctor's office then they do at work? Do you know anyone who enjoys getting attention because they want everyone to "think" they are not feeling well?

Is there medication (probably the last thing they need) for a hypochondriac or is this something that cannot be "fixed"?

My Grandmother. She was always sick, or not feeling too good, or had this, that or the other wrong with her....we tried our best to stay away from her and her constant griping.....it took her 92 years to die.

hypochondriac is a cluster of personality disorders (a syndrome) rather than an illness of itself... there is no medication for "hypochondriac", but talk therapy and anti psychotic/anti anxiety medication are usually prescribed. its not something that can be "cured," and normally the person suffer from it for their whole life.

Last edited:
I knew one- ME! When I was in my tweens to mid teens I thought I had everything. I can't tell you how many times I was dying of something. Having a home medical book from the sixties sure didn't help. I think my problem surfaced due to stress between my divorced parents. I was young when it happened, but believe me, the fighting didn't stop after divorce. It gave me something else to focus on.

Even now, when I am depressed or stressed I think what if I have ( fill in the blank ) I think it helps most hypochondriacs from focusing on their real problems. Just my oppinion. I was also diagnosed as OCD when I was 13 or 14. My habits and compulsions gave me peace when I gave in to them.

No pill, cure
idunno.gif

selective hearing a neccessity.

I was like that as a kid too. My grandma was till she died at 97. Now I found out what half my issues were...food allergies
lol.png
Made my whole body ill all the time, but I had no idea I was poisoning myself. Now I am rarely feeling ill at all and I LOVE MY LIFE!!
woot.gif
Sometimes there really IS something wrong
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom