Hobblesthechick

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
I have zero experience chicken rearing but my school did a school hatch this week. All 8 seemed ok but then 1 we came into work yesterday morning to see wasn’t standing and couldn’t walk. My basic knowledge from being in a chicken group on Facebook suggested it looked like splayed leg, although one leg is actually tucked under him whilst one was stretched outwards more. The one tucked under also had curled toes so we strapped it to some cardboard. We also bound the legs with a tape and hair tie splint to keep them together.

It’s the next day and curled toe looks better but he still isn’t able to walk and isn’t really putting weight on the more splayed leg or foot. The foot and toes look more puffy/swollen and the ankle/hock area looks a little purple or bruised. Thing is I’ve tried to check for slipped tendon by gently pulling the leg back but can’t feel anyone rolling or snapping back into place.

I feel so overwhelmed and out of my depth. Desperate to help him but worried I just don’t know. I’ve got no professionals around me that can help and I just don’t want him to die.

When you set the legs with the tape they have a harder time getting around. Dip the chicks beak in some water and watch to make sure he/she is placed near food.

When you set the legs with the tape they have a harder time getting around. Dip the chicks beak in some water and watch to make sure he/she is placed near food.
Just to confirm. Do you think this doesn’t look like slipped tendon? Because the chick is on his front he doesn’t eat or drink independently. I’m currently pipetting water (alternating with diluted vitamins and sugar) and mashed chick crumb with water to make a paste. Even that he is quite reluctant to eat. Though he takes the water readily most times. He can’t peck at the water in a bottle lid because he can’t stand.

He’s currently in an incubator, suggested by a chicken keeper as it’ll regulate his temperature well. But I think he rests better just being snuggled into my jumper as he can somewhat sleep slanted with his head raised rather than being flat on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom