I’m thinking of adopting a bonded pair ( young turkey and chicken) from the humane society, looking for advice about housing before I make a decision.

Hanusaur

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
Our local humane society has a young turkey and chicken. They are a bonded pair. We already have 3 hens. I only have until 5PM today (4 hours from now) to make a decision before the humane society closes - and the birds are set to go to a sanctuary in the morning. So the staff at the humane society said it’s “fate” that I came to see them today, lol.
So I’m thinking a big tom turkey would be great Hawk repellant for my chickens - we have lots of hawks here and we already lost one hen to a Hawk last year. I’m just wondering how I should set up the coop/run to accommodate him when he’s grown. The coop door is not currently big enough for a full grown turkey to enter - although we could cut it bigger. But I also read that turkeys are okay with sleeping in outdoor enclosures on a roost. Our run is very sturdy, roofed, with a giant tree growing over it for added weather protection, and it’s very predator proof, so I thought maybe he would sleep on a roost in the run rather than in the coop - as I’m also wondering if it might get a little too cramped inside the coop with a big ol turkey. So my question is, would it be okay for him sleep in the run if I set up a nice cozy roost for him? Or would he want to sleep with the chickens inside the coop?

Our local humane society has a young turkey and chicken. They are a bonded pair. We already have 3 hens. I only have until 5PM today (4 hours from now) to make a decision before the humane society closes - and the birds are set to go to a sanctuary in the morning. So the staff at the humane society said it’s “fate” that I came to see them today, lol.
So I’m thinking a big tom turkey would be great Hawk repellant for my chickens - we have lots of hawks here and we already lost one hen to a Hawk last year. I’m just wondering how I should set up the coop/run to accommodate him when he’s grown. The coop door is not currently big enough for a full grown turkey to enter - although we could cut it bigger. But I also read that turkeys are okay with sleeping in outdoor enclosures on a roost. Our run is very sturdy, roofed, with a tree over top for added weather protection, and it’s very predator proof, so I thought maybe he would sleep on a roost in the run rather than in the coop - as I’m also wondering if it might get a little too cramped inside the coop with a big ol turkey. So my question is, would it be okay for him sleep in the run if I set up a nice cozy roost for him? Or would he want to sleep with the chickens inside the coop?
Let them go to the sanctuary. If the turkey is a tom and you don't get it turkey hens, it will eventually kill your chickens by trying to breed them.

Turkeys are very social birds and should be with other turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom