I’ve been bit by the chick bug

linsybird

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
Oklahoma
How do you stop yourself from getting more chicks? I started with 4, and told myself I’d stop at 6. Now I have 7, and am already thinking about adding another coop!

Can someone talk me out of buying a couple more? There are some Cochins at Atwood’s that are practically begging me to bring them home...

Just make sure you have enough room. I would slow down so you can get some next year too.

Are you a first time owner? If you are it's best to wait and see how it goes. As birds get older and more mature you can see more problems if you don't have enough room or your set up isn't quite right.

Babies are always cute. Just be sure you can accommodate the adult birds and tend to their needs.

Just make sure you have enough room. I would slow down so you can get some next year too.

Are you a first time owner? If you are it's best to wait and see how it goes. As birds get older and more mature you can see more problems if you don't have enough room or your set up isn't quite right.

Babies are always cute. Just be sure you can accommodate the adult birds and tend to their needs.

We had chickens as pets when I was a kid, but I’ve never had them on my own. I’d been planning for almost a year to get my coop and run set up, and am so excited it finally happened! I’ve missed having chickens so much, they really are addictive.

I’m pretty sure I’m at my limit, I could probably fit one more, but I want them to have a little extra space.

More chickens equals more poop. Haha. My mom gets the chick bug every spring! We now have 20 chickens. We have bought a second chicken coop to accommodate them. It has gotten expensive but the birds have plenty of space and are well cared for. Next year I think I am going to have to tie my mom up and put her on the couch in front of the TV to keep her from buying more chicks.

How do you stop yourself from getting more chicks? I started with 4, and told myself I’d stop at 6. Now I have 7, and am already thinking about adding another coop!

Can someone talk me out of buying a couple more? There are some Cochins at Atwood’s that are practically begging me to bring them home...

I'm the wrong person to ask :gig

Started with three 20week pullets. That was supposed to be it. Part of an extra credit project for my 16 y/o son's animal biology class.

Bought four more chicks about a month ago. Now we need another coop so I'm thinking mine as well get that blue and red Wyandotte and mottled java I've been wanting...

Chicken math: it'll get us every time! :woot

More chickens equals more poop. Haha. My mom gets the chick bug every spring! We now have 20 chickens. We have bought a second chicken coop to accommodate them. It has gotten expensive but the birds have plenty of space and are well cared for. Next year I think I am going to have to tie my mom up and put her on the couch in front of the TV to keep her from buying more chicks.

Or send her on a nice vacation next Spring.

I have a prefab coop that had three babies in it. I bought a full grown laying hen and put her in that coop after moving the babies out. She fits in there and practically fills it BY HERSELF! No more "just for now" coops for me!

We learned that prefab lesson the hard way, too! Never again!

On the plus side it'll be a great place for my four chicks to learn how to chicken as its in an enclosed garden. Lots to forage, nearby but not with the older girls, etc.

Wow!
I have a prefab coop that had three babies in it. I bought a full grown laying hen and put her in that coop after moving the babies out. She fits in there and practically fills it BY HERSELF! No more "just for now" coops for me!

I considered getting a couple Jersey Giants, then I looked at my nest boxes and realized they probably wouldn’t fit!

Back
Top Bottom