I’ve tried everything for impacted crop

Susibirb

Hatching
May 17, 2024
I am desperate

My blue copper maran seemingly has impacted crop because her crop is hard and feels full of sand. I’ve tried all the noninterventional remedies I’ve found on this forum.

For the past 7 days we have 1. Isolated her 2. Put her inside so she can’t eat more sand 3. Withheld food for a 24 hour period 3. Have administered olive oil and regular massaging every few hours, every day

The first night she pooped a big pile of sand but that’s the only sand we’ve seen her expel, though depending on how much she’s been eating, she does still pass poops at this time. The crop is softer and smaller than it was 7 days ago, but otherwise no change. Shes bored and annoyed being in chicken jail, but other than that she isn’t exhibiting any other symptoms or seem in any distress. We only noticed her crop because she came over to cuddle like she always does and I felt it.

We’ve been quoted by the vet $1600 for an initial radiograph of crop/assorted treatment, but we just can’t make that work.

What more can we do for our girl? I appreciate everyone and anyone’s help, I’m sure this is a heavily covered topic but I’ve searched this sub and I’ve tried every remedy I’ve come across. Thank you frens.

What kind of sand has she been eating? How full is her crop? If she isn't showing any signs of distress she might be alright... hopefully some experts can jump in.
They semi-free range so there is just some general desert dirt out there, and then they have construction sand in their run. The ball in her crop feel like the size of a golf ball. They are a little over a year old.

I would continue to massage her crop and offer her water 24/7. It should pass on its own, I have had to deal with some bad impacted crop (3 weeks of care). I would offer her some boiled or scrambled egg to keep up her energy.

An impacted crop can also turn into sour crop. You can actually give her some monostat if you think that is the case. We've used it on our hens while treating for vent gleat which often causes sour crop and it seems to work well with no side effects in our hens. You could give her .2-.3 cc's orally as a prevention.

In extreme cases I've also seen video's on YouTube of homesteaders taking a surgical scapple or Exacto blade and cutting a small opening through the skin as well as through the crop and literally pulling or digging the obstruction out then closing it with super glue. I nearly did this, but backed out and later lost our rooster. In hindsight I wish I would have tried it. Best of luck for your hen!

Back
Top Bottom