I am a kid trying to convice his parents to have chickens! Please help!

Are you sure you have the time, money, and space to build a coop with a properly-sized run? You also need to feed the chickens and that cost can add up.

Well, you can tell them that you can get free eggs/meat, that only you will care for the chickens, that you will save your money up for their costs, you will buy all the feed, and you won't get any roosters!
tongue.png

Chickens can be a lot of work. You have to feed, water, and collect eggs daily, muck out their coops and run weekly, and check on them so they don't get hurt. There's a lot involved in owning them, but it will be worth it! :)

Are you sure you have the time, money, and space to build a coop with a properly-sized run? You also need to feed the chickens and that cost can add up.

Well, you can tell them that you can get free eggs/meat, that only you will care for the chickens, that you will save your money up for their costs, you will buy all the feed, and you won't get any roosters!
tongue.png

Chickens can be a lot of work. You have to feed, water, and collect eggs daily, muck out their coops and run weekly, and check on them so they don't get hurt. There's a lot involved in owning them, but it will be worth it! :)
1 RIR Rooster, Freddy. We "rented" him for a couple of hours. So he's not really ours but we might get him to keep. :D

Do you own quail? I am looking at quail, debating wether quail or chicken is better. What do you think?

Hi there,
Super glad to hear you can maybe get hens!
1f604.png

Just a thought, if your going to sell chicks, one rooster to 4 hens, that's not a good idea.
I would say 1 roo for every 10 hens.
Good luck!

Why is that?

Also, now I have an issue with my breeding chicken idea because I cannot reasonably house 11 chickens on my little lot.

If you don't have enough room for 11 adult birds, where do you plan on keeping the chicks you hatch?

Are you planning to incubate or rely on broodies? Do you have a large enough market where you are for straight run chicks? What will you do with those that are enough to sex, and they are cockerels? I am not trying to discourage you, just making sure you have thought everything through.

If I were you I'd just concentrate on getting permission for a small flock of hens. Get your parents accustomed to that first, and you can get used to what is needed for their care. Once everything settles down then consider the possibility of a rooster.

Well, my dad is very "Does it have a good ROI"?

So selling eggs does not. Rather selling chicks does. I have thought it through (the selling side). But this 10:1 ratio is a big hiccup here.

Back
Top Bottom