I am a new member and need advice

PeggyK

Hatching
Jun 5, 2016
Hi I am new to Backyard and need some advice please. I have 4 chickens and one seems to be sick. She has been on her next for 3 days and will not get off. She has not been laying eggs. I have carried her off her nest yesterday and she drinks a lot, eats a little and goes back. Today I put her in the yard with the other 3 and one of the chickens started to attack her. ( they were all raise together and are a little over a year old and have always gotten along. So I put he mean one in the coop and let the other 3 outside. She is acting normal ( scratching and moving around) She has not laid an egg in at least 4 days and since she has been on the next she has not pooped ??? Any suggestions ??? Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to BYC!

How does she act when on the nest? Does she get very angry and protective when you try to touch her? Is she missing feathers from her breast?

Sounds like she is most likely broody. It means that she is attempting to sit and hatch her eggs. It doesn't matter if you don't have a rooster - a hen doesn't know if her eggs are infertile and will often even sit on an empty nest if you take her eggs. If she is in fact broody, you can either let the broodiness run its course, break her, or give her eggs or chicks to raise if you want to add to your flock.

Thank you so much. I am so relieved. Yes , I think she is Brooding. I really appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom