I am conyemplating breeding My Golden Duckwing Rooster and Pure Brown Leghorn hen, What will chick, hen and Roo look like please. Is it desirable.

Belikeaduck

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2023
Does The Roo breed True and will the Off spring be Darker as hoped.

Attachments

• 20240521_163152.jpg
    20240521_163152.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240519-152945_Video Trimmer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240519-152945_Video Trimmer.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 4
Male offspring will be gold duckwing (brown Leghorn color) and golden duckwing like your rooster. Female offspring will be silver duckwing and gold duckwing.

Golden duckwings can be tricky as they can either be S/s or S/S with autosomal red.

Assuming it is the latter, the hens will be silver or more likely golden duckwing.
The cocks will be Golden (in this case S/s) so likely darker than their sire.

If he is the former, half the roosters and hens will be brown and half golden duckwing.

Edit: I assume the S/S with AR option is more likely, especially as Golden Leghorns are a standard variety.

Last edited:
Golden duckwings can be tricky as they can either be S/s or S/S with autosomal red.

Assuming it is the latter, the hens will be silver or more likely golden duckwing.
The cocks will be Golden (in this case S/s) so likely darker than their sire.

If he is the former, half the roosters and hens will be brown and half golden duckwing.

Edit: I assume the S/S with AR option is more likely, especially as Golden Leghorns are a standard variety.
Thanks, alot to research. No info but yours to date. Any other leads for understanding appreciated. Thankyou. Would I be better to go with traditional brown Roo.

This was in his ( the breeders) feild.

This mix on pictures.
He was replaced with the white leghorn recently.
Their had been a identical Gold leghorn rooster serviceing before.

The breeder has a mixed flock of shavers. I think he definately had a alternative head ,comb shape (rose?) as his start brown hens. He was trying to point out what was brown leghorn on most part stil.
His Focus egg production.
mine Look for now, pure dark brown hens looking like my hen or better.

Its good to turn over your rooster each season. Not breed to his off spring.?
Another Q for me.
If i go with this as my first rooster, source a brown Roo, traditional.?
He is not aggressive, nor skittish. Under 2 years.
Should I go for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240522-000749_Video Trimmer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522-000749_Video Trimmer.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240522-000759_Video Trimmer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522-000759_Video Trimmer.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240522-001145_Video Trimmer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522-001145_Video Trimmer.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thanks, alot to research. No info but yours to date. Any other leads for understanding appreciated. Thankyou. Would I be better to go with traditional brown Roo.

This was in his ( the breeders) feild.

This mix on pictures.
He was replaced with the white leghorn recently.
Their had been a identical Gold leghorn rooster serviceing before.

The breeder has a mixed flock of shavers. I think he definately had a alternative head ,comb shape (rose?) as his start brown hens. He was trying to point out what was brown leghorn on most part stil.
His Focus egg production.
mine Look for now, pure dark brown hens looking like my hen or better.

Its good to turn over your rooster each season. Not breed to his off spring.?
Another Q for me.
If i go with this as my first rooster, source a brown Roo, traditional.?
He is not aggressive, nor skittish. Under 2 years.
Should I go for it.
Do you want to breed brown leghorns specifically or would you be happy with goldens?

Breeding father/mother to offspring is okay with chickens, just not siblings. (It is not recommended to do it too often.)
If you breed with the Golden boy you have, all the pullets you produce will probably be golden duckwing, or silver but the only difference is autosomal red genes.
These pullets can be bred to him again to produce pure golden duckwings.

Or you could hatch out a cockerel, and use him to be bred back to his mother and the other hens. Then, you will produce some pure browns.

I like to say ‘work with what you have’. Your roo seems good quality and if he is nice, why change him? There is only one major gene that changes browns to golden duckwings, so breeding either colour pure with your birds will be straight forward.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Do you want to breed brown leghorns specifically or would you be happy with goldens?

Breeding father/mother to offspring is okay with chickens, just not siblings. (It is not recommended to do it too often.)
If you breed with the Golden boy you have, all the pullets you produce will probably be golden duckwing, or silver but the only difference is autosomal red genes.
These pullets can be bred to him again to produce pure golden duckwings.

Or you could hatch out a cockerel, and use him to be bred back to his mother and the other hens. Then, you will produce some pure browns.

I like to say ‘work with what you have’. Your roo seems good quality and if he is nice, why change him? There is only one major gene that changes browns to golden duckwings, so breeding either colour pure with your birds will be straight forward.

Feel free to ask more questions.
YOU have been really encouraging. I had a Oh NO moment after I drove 700 km to pick him up. I offered two links to the breeder of my girl and he advised me he was Good. Then when I posted Pic of his arrival he said. That's not the one, it's a Shaver cross. I was sleepy sorry didn't look at links. But Having posted his pick I found They come in colours he is pedigre Goldwing. I THINK it wad a happy accident. I named him vengience before I got him. He will be my vengience as I'm going to aim for Good duckwing variety. Nice, different and as I have a Good Roo I will change him out way less as you say and have the fun of rearing A rooster for my own. I can't find many pictures if what to expect as I go through this process. If you were, or anyone eles to find one I would appreciate. I like the Large comb so I am very glad with the hen. Almost two so I better get to it well she good layer I'm hoping. She was a sale bird at a exhibition. The Breeder I have vengience on now Was impatient. Running out to me Holding her like a rag well I was collecting cage to bring it in. Should have guessed he was too busy to care about Silly beginners like me. Ends Up not so silly.

Back
Top Bottom