I am in disbelief.

The dogproof traps are also cat-proof. They only work on animals with hand-like front paws. They need the dexterity to reach in and pull upward on the trigger. I have caught many coons and possums over the years for people with dogs and many cats on their property. Never caught one dog or cat. Now, when a coyote, feral dogs or foxes were the target, we use foot-hold traps and snares. Those catch whatever wanders into them. Live-catch cage traps performed worse than any other method I ever used.

We don't have skunks or weasels here but, I understand that the dogproof traps will catch these killers also.

There are very few foot-hold traps that are not catch and release. I know trappers who've trapped for years with foot-hold traps and never walked up on a dead animal. If you check your traps regularly, you would be able to release any inadvertently caught cat good-as-new. Dead animals in traps are usually the result of freezing to death or being eaten/killed by another animal.

The image of bear traps with giant teeth is a total fabrication of the cartoon and movie industry. No state in the U.S. allows a trap with teeth to be used. And, snares can be purchased with stops on them to prevent the animal from dieing.

I'm 63 and I don't believe traps with teeth have ever been legal to use in my adult lifetime.

I certainly was not offended by your comments Ms. Mary. And, I thought your comments on neutering was perfect. But, I would like to clarify my stance.

I certainly didn't intend to suggest to the OP that she use foothold traps. I just wanted her to know how basically benign most traps really were.

It doesn't really surprise me that you encountered some pretty traumatic injuries to cats in Michigan. Michigan has some brutally cold winters and, trappers will sometimes sit the worst winter weather days out, leaving their traps unchecked for a few days. I don't think the average chicken owner would set traps for lurking predators and not check the traps every day at least.

Also, y'all have some pretty large, fierce and tough predators in Michigan. I am on trapping forums with Michiganders (sp?) who tell of bears, wolves, badgers and wolverines eating their trapped animals. These critters require some substantial traps. And, I can't know how large of a trap a chicken owner might deploy but, I'd venture a guess that it won't be a bear or wolf-sized trap.

My intent was to suggest the dogproof trap. It is absolutely no threat to cats whatsoever.

I am not necessarily a cat lover, but when feral cat numbers start to escalate, they become predators. I would never target or arbitrarily set traps where pet cats are a possibility. Feral cats are causing some serious damage to game bird and ground nesting songbird populations. I treat ANY PREDATOR that is a threat to ours or our neighbor's chickens with the same determination. And, I make no apologies for this.

I would like to add; Go to some trapping forums and ask how often trappers across the U.S. and Europe encounter a dead or badly wounded animal in their traps. They complain of often having to release perfectly healthy and unhappy cats that set-off their traps rendering that trap useless for the amount of time the cat was in it.

The possibility of having your animal injured by a foothold trap is lower than the likelihood of it getting struck by lightning. And, that's if you live in an area that is trapped heavily! The lethality of foothold traps is a myth perpetuated by those who are clueless to trapping and by animal rights fanatics. The same people who condemn us for eating our chickens!

Last edited:
I would like to add; Go to some trapping forums and ask how often trappers across the U.S. and Europe encounter a dead or badly wounded animal in their traps. They complain of often having to release perfectly healthy and unhappy cats that set-off their traps rendering that trap useless for the amount of time the cat was in it.

The possibility of having your animal injured by a foothold trap is lower than the likelihood of it getting struck by lightning. And, that's if you live in an area that is trapped heavily! The lethality of foothold traps is a myth perpetuated by those who are clueless to trapping and by animal rights fanatics. The same people who condemn us for eating our chickens!
The folks you mention also don't want us to hatch chicks, eat eggs, or confine hens. Every time a free range chicken keeper looses a bird to a predator the animal rights fanatics do a little happy dance.

The image of bear traps with giant teeth is a total fabrication of the cartoon and movie industry.  No state in the U.S. allows a trap with teeth to be used.

You are incorrect in this instance, toothed foot traps are far from a fabrication of the cartoon and movie industry toothed traps are still legally used by trappers in some states, especially when placed in water as several states that have banned them on land still permit them under water... Sure the days of huge toothed bear traps are no longer with us, but they were a reality for many, many decades and not some creation of Hollywood...

As said though the dog/cat proof foot traps being made now for raccoons are for all intents just as advertised dog/cat proof...

Last edited:
I was mistaken. You are correct, toothed traps are outlawed in 70% of the states. The 30% that does allow them must be used under water. The reason for this is to ensure the quick drowning of the target animal.

I don't think any cats were caught under water and needed leg amputation. I still contend that the idea of these giant toothed traps is a fallacy and a creation of Hollywood. No one is trapping beaver, nutria and the diminutive muskrat with the non-existent bear-sized toothed traps.

Has anyone ever seen a muskrat-sized trap portrayed in a Hollywood movie or cartoon?

I've had raccoons somehow escape my live traps. Several times. They're quite crafty. They were also able to figure out the locking mechanism on our hen coop and we had to start using an actual lock. Raccoons are a very formidable predator around here.

Back
Top Bottom