I am so confused on feeding

Kalebsmomma

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Wisconsin
I have 2 1 year old and 15 14 week old Golden Comet hens. My first 12 we owned we fed grower feed til they we 16 weeks because 10/12 started laying. We started them on layer feed at that point. They all did fine.
I came here just to make sure what when we should start with the new hens. But I read so many things I am now officially confused.
When should we start layer feed? Or should we? We just used up the last of the grower feed. I want to make sure if I should just go buy the layer feed now or buy grower feed and waste the rest in a couple weeks.
Oh and as a side note we are rescuing a rooster in a week.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks!

I feed all sorts of things. Chick feed until they can eat pellets, or layer crumble if they are hatched by a broody.

My single males that aren't for food get flock raiser

Males for eating get layer crumble.

Some of my flocks get flock raiser

Some flocks get both

Some flocks get just layer, including the males

I have 2 1 year old and 15 14 week old Golden Comet hens. My first 12 we owned we fed grower feed til they we 16 weeks because 10/12 started laying. We started them on
My first Flock were 5 Golden Comets.
2 started to lay at 16 weeks.
I started mixing Starter Grower feed 18% with layer feed 50/50 with Oyster Shells separately till the Starter-Grower feed was gone.
All the Comets were laying at 19 weeks.
I currently have 18 weeks old Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks.
Non are laying, they are still eating a Starter Grower feed.
I won't switch to a layer feed till one of each breed is laying, by mixing it 50/50 with a layer feed till the Starter-grower feed is gone.
We just used up the last of the grower feed.
I would get a 25 lb bag of Grower feed if they were mine.
Oh and as a side note we are rescuing a rooster in a week.
If he were in my Flock he would get an Oyster Shells free Layer feed. GC

ETA; Why a Layers feed without Oyster Shells in the ingredients?
Well Oyster Shells stays in the Gizzard longer, something a Cockerel/Rooster doesn't need.
A Layers feed with Calcium Carbonate only will pass through the Gizzard Quickly.
Less Calcium absorbed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom