Feeding different aged chickens

kh6234

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2023
Hi! I am getting my first 6 chickens next week. I am getting 2 olive egger pullets that will be 11 weeks when I get them and getting 4 golden comet pullets that will be 17 weeks next week. What feed should I put them on? (Grower, Layer etc) wanting to incorporate them into the coop together when they come home next week and have them on the same food. There is a local feed store that sells grower, layer, scratch and cracked corn for poultry that I would really love to buy from.

Grower will be fine, or all flock - nutritionally they're usually about the same. If you provide a source of calcium on the side you can feed that to them for life, or switch over to layer if that's your preference once everyone is actively laying.

Scratch and corn are optional treats and should only be fed in moderation. They may help you train your new birds to accept your presence, but use sparingly.

Ok awesome! When should I switch the flock to layer feed? Internet says 18-24 weeks, so i’m guessing when the olive eggers are around that age?
Sorry I added on to my original post after thinking about it. So here's the extra info that would've helped: If you provide a source of calcium on the side you can feed that to them for life, or switch over to layer if that's your preference once everyone is actively laying.

Every bird is different so it's impossible to guess how old they'll be when they start laying. 18 weeks is fairly early, with most birds landing somewhere in the 20s, but some birds can take even longer than that.

Ok thanks! When it comes time to switch, Is there a specific way or routine to switching them from grower to layer? Or can I just switch the food all at once and they will be fine?

Sorry I added on to my original post after thinking about it. So here's the extra info that would've helped: If you provide a source of calcium on the side you can feed that to them for life, or switch over to layer if that's your preference once everyone is actively laying.

Every bird is different so it's impossible to guess how old they'll be when they start laying. 18 weeks is fairly early, with most birds landing somewhere in the 20s, but some birds can take even longer than that.
Thank you! I added another question on this post, not sure if it came in as a reply.

Ok thanks! When it comes time to switch, Is there a specific way or routine to switching them from grower to layer? Or can I just switch the food all at once and they will be fine?
I've always just switched cold turkey and it hasn't been an issue. Some folks like to do a slower transition, so either way can work.

Another question, When should I start integrating grit, oyster shell, and things like that?
I've always just switched cold turkey and it hasn't been an issue. Some folks like to do a slower transition, so either way can work.

Another question, When should I start integrating grit, oyster shell, and things like that?
I always have them available. Younger birds may try oyster shell but shouldn't want to eat it past testing it out. I always have grit offered too (chicks receive grit from the very beginning with me) because I don't have particularly rocky soil and it's cheap digestive insurance.

Back
Top Bottom