Do I need to give Layer feed?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My flock (all female) isn’t laying yet. They’re all around 15-17 weeks old and currently on Scratch and Peck grower feed which is whole grains and 17% protein content. Can I keep them on this feed indefinitely if I offer oyster shells on the side? I’m looking at the same brand’s layer feed and that one is 16% protein which doesn’t seem like a huge difference, so imagine the only change in the bags would be calcium. I’d like to keep them in something that’s safe to give to younger pullets when I add to the flock so I don’t have to change thins around.

Is there an advantage to feeding layer feed?

My flock (all female) isn’t laying yet. They’re all around 15-17 weeks old and currently on Scratch and Peck grower feed which is whole grains and 17% protein content. Can I keep them on this feed indefinitely if I offer oyster shells on the side?
Yes, that will be fine.

Often no. In a few cases yes.

There are a few hens that will not eat enough oyster shell for their own needs. Those hens would do better on layer feed, because they do not have the option of skipping the calcium. Hens like that are relatively rare, so this does not apply to most hens.

Other than that, layer feed is often a little bit cheaper, and some people don't want to bother putting out a separate dish of oyster shell. If those people only have laying hens (no chicks or roosters in the pen), then layer feed can work well for them.

Yes, that will be fine.

Often no. In a few cases yes.

There are a few hens that will not eat enough oyster shell for their own needs. Those hens would do better on layer feed, because they do not have the option of skipping the calcium. Hens like that are relatively rare, so this does not apply to most hens.

Other than that, layer feed is often a little bit cheaper, and some people don't want to bother putting out a separate dish of oyster shell. If those people only have laying hens (no chicks or roosters in the pen), then layer feed can work well for them.
Thanks for the reply! They grab their grit from a small dish in the run (they don’t free range) so I’m hoping they’ll do the same with oyster shells.

I've had hens that didn't get enough calcium even with layer feed. You have to see how the shells are working out, I guess. Do you have any hybrid breeds that lay really frequently? They would most likely be the ones that you would see having issues.

I have been using flock raiser with oyster shell* with great results. Yes, I will have the occasional soft or thin shell (I have also had an egg bounce when thrown to the ground), but not often. I am generally against layer feed as it was designed to meet bare minimum needs of confined laying hens and forces too much calcium to those that don't need it (molt, winter slow down, age, illness/injury etc).

*I also have higher than average calcium in the environment.

Yes I think you should get a layer feed and I think your birds would do better on a crumbled or pelleted feed and NOT a whole grain type feed that gives them a choice to pick and choose which grain to eat or not.

Spend a few hours reading through the emergency forums and pay attention to how many people have birds with egg laying problems and notice how many of those are given the choice to eat or not eat calcium on the side.

My flock (all female) isn’t laying yet. They’re all around 15-17 weeks old and currently on Scratch and Peck grower feed which is whole grains and 17% protein content. Can I keep them on this feed indefinitely if I offer oyster shells on the side? I’m looking at the same brand’s layer feed and that one is 16% protein which doesn’t seem like a huge difference, so imagine the only change in the bags would be calcium. I’d like to keep them in something that’s safe to give to younger pullets when I add to the flock so I don’t have to change thins around.

I have always feed mine crumbles or pellets for laying hens and I very been getting an egg a day since they were 14 months old Road Island Reds and Easter Egg Chickens, great chickens. Oyster shell and grit are required too. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom