Do I need to give Layer feed?

Yes I think you should get a layer feed and I think your birds would do better on a crumbled or pelleted feed and NOT a whole grain type feed that gives them a choice to pick and choose which grain to eat or not.

Spend a few hours reading through the emergency forums and pay attention to how many people have birds with egg laying problems and notice how many of those are given the choice to eat or not eat calcium on the side.
Do people have more issues feeding all flock for mixed flocks? I thought that’s what you have to do when you have roosters and pullets.

I've had hens that didn't get enough calcium even with layer feed. You have to see how the shells are working out, I guess. Do you have any hybrid breeds that lay really frequently? They would most likely be the ones that you would see having issues.
I’m not sure.

I have:
RIR
Easter egger
White lefhorn
Buff Orphington
Barred rock

I don’t know if these are hybrids or not.

Do people have more issues feeding all flock for mixed flocks? I thought that’s what you have to do when you have roosters and pullets.
I think you have to weigh out the benefits and drawbacks . I have both a rooster with gout, and some hens that have calcium/laying issues. I honestly did not know what to do, so I just switch it up and hope for the best.

Did you say that you only have hens? I personally would feed layer in the seasons that they are laying, and do all flock when they are not laying, and when there are young birds present.

I’m not sure.

I have:
RIR
Easter egger
White lefhorn
Buff Orphington
Barred rock

I don’t know if these are hybrids or not.
None are hybrids, but the leghorn and maybe even the RIR should be pretty prolific layers, and may need the extra calcium.

I have california whites, and they gobble down oyster shell like there is no tomorrow, so even though they lay almost everyday they still have strong shells. My starlight green eggers would rather eat styrofoam than oyster shell, so they have frequent issues. You kind of just have to read the birds and do your best to give everyone what they need, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom