I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics
Has there ever been a chicken documented to have both ovaries and testes? I've had hens with dominant rooster behavior, spurs and scythe tail feathers... but they laid eggs. I have an American Bresse pullet right now that my wife swears is a rooster- she even crows and mounts her pen mates- but her little bitty new-layer eggs betray her gender.
Honestly, that sounds pretty normal to me. Hens will mount each other for dominance, and I have multiple crowing hens right now. Spurs and curved tail feathers aren’t specific to roosters.

Honestly, that sounds pretty normal to me. Hens will mount each other for dominance, and I have multiple crowing hens right now. Spurs and curved tail feathers aren’t specific to roosters.
This latest one is the third I've had in five years. She's a fierce b-word, too. She's quick to round up her penmates and put herself between them and our dogs when they're out together.

You know, in the 90s I had a childhood cat that was a hermaphrodite. When they were given to me they were visually a female, we named her Purrl. Then later "her" testicles descended and visually they were mixed! Purrl acted like a fixed male cat, never sprayed or went into heat. Unfortunately they got distemper and had to be put down.

Back
Top Bottom