I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics
You know I refrained from posting this because it's really only hearsay, but my neighbor is a good old boy in his seventies, when he was a young boy and he was raised up on a farm until he was in his twenties and they raise chickens. When I told him of what I thought was going on, his reply was"oh yeah you'll have that sometimes and yeah sometimes they'll eggs. I said excuse me, you're the first person who said anything like that. And he told me that on the farm they would let the mother hen raise a clutch or two of eggs and yeah you would get roosters and hens, but they would only kill the roosters if they needed it for food or they were causing a problem so on his farm they always had several roosters and so I think in this environment where nobody wants a rooster but everybody wants a hen for eggs, every time a rooster is identified it's gotten rid of. So maybe this happens more then we understand because of the attitude towards roosters, which by the way I think make a wonderful pet.! When I got Vick home today I let him walk around a little bit in the front yard on his leash and several people did stop and say how cool that was to see a rooster or a chicken on a leash. And why not, anybody can walk a dog but it takes a special kind of someone to walk a chicken! So like I said no matter what Vic is or is it, the fact that this is an actuality is awesome and if we can talk about it seriously and professionally I think there's a lot more here to understand and that is really awesome! Don't mean to ramble, thank you for your comment and raise awesome chickens!
I took Chester, a member of my rooster-only flock, out on a leash once. He actually really enjoyed it, mainly because there were a lot of bugs at the beach, which is where we took him.
P_20190922_132958_Original.jpeg

I’d love to see a picture of your’s on the leash.

I wanted to add that it has also been my experience that slower developing cockerels are pretty normal, especially if they’re growing up with other cockerels. The results/examples of this situation are featured all over the “what breed or gender is this” forum.

I took Chester, a member of my rooster-only flock, out on a leash once. He actually really enjoyed it, mainly because there were a lot of bugs at the beach, which is where we took him. View attachment 3630615

I wanted to add that it has also been my experience that slower developing cockerels are pretty normal, especially if they’re growing up with other cockerels. The results/examples of this situation are featured all over the “what breed or gender is this” forum.
Okay I'll try to do that. I'm not much of a get it on video kind of person but I do like sharing with people who are as either as sane as or as crazy as me. I let my front yard kind of grow over because I seed it with wheat oats barley and a number of other wild things and so when it gets kind of high it goes to seed and the wild strawberries Bloom and all the other wild things that people don't really want in their yards and then I let the chickens go out there and have at it. I live in the city and so I can't just let them run in the front yard, partly because it's not fenced and the other part is there is a ton of things where I live that would love to jump a fence and kill a chicken. So I take him out on a leash and I take him on back when he's done. I try to rotate my chickens out to the front yard to give them a healthy choice of natural things to forage for. It's fun and it also supplements their diet. And so far all the neighbors and passerby's think it's pretty cool to see a chicken on a leash! Roosters are awesome and more people should keep them because of that alone!

Okay I couldn't help myself and I opened the article and yes that is the same article. What are your thoughts on it?
I think it is POSSIBLE that Vick could actually be anatomically female and underwent a sex reversal, especially since you initially thought he was a pullet. As @RoostersAreAwesome said, slow-developing cockerels are normal, but that doesn't explain the mysterious egg(s.) The above scenario also fits what your vet said, as far as that as the left ovary becomes dormant and the right gonad begins to produce androgen, egg laying will eventually cease. It's currently all speculation though, which I understand is why you took Vick to the vet to try to solve the mystery.

I think it is POSSIBLE that Vick could actually be anatomically female and underwent a sex reversal, especially since you initially thought he was a pullet. As @RoostersAreAwesome said, slow-developing cockerels are normal, but that doesn't explain the mysterious egg(s.) The above scenario also fits what your vet said, as far as that as the left ovary becomes dormant and the right gonad begins to produce androgen, egg laying will eventually cease. It's currently all speculation though, which I understand is why you took Vick to the vet to try to solve the mystery.
Thank you, not only for maybe believing I'm not completely crazy and looking at the evidence objectively. And yes it's all currently speculation until such time as a bird can be mentally examined or some other evidence presents itself. But as the research shows, this is possible and that should excite all of us! Thank you again for your reply!

Thank you, not only for maybe believing I'm not completely crazy and looking at the evidence objectively. And yes it's all currently speculation until such time as a bird can be mentally examined or some other evidence presents itself. But as the research shows, this is possible and that should excite all of us! Thank you again for your reply!
Sorry that's medically examined for the bird, the mental examination might be in order for me

I took Chester, a member of my rooster-only flock, out on a leash once. He actually really enjoyed it, mainly because there were a lot of bugs at the beach, which is where we took him. View attachment 3630615

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_142435121.jpg
    IMG_20230905_142435121.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230905_142444897.jpg
    IMG_20230905_142444897.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom