I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics
I was talking to a gentleman I had met cuz he approached me because I had Vic on a leash up at the Brew shop and he was talking to me and I told him kind of what you know what we thought might be going on and his response was that that's not surprising because he studies fish and said that in fish that happens quite often, the changing of gender so to speak. So yeah there's a lot out there that we don't know. A lot of people do not consider the fact that there are answers to questions that we have not yet thought to ask.
Certain fish change sex for certain reasons. Sometimes it's because there are no fish of the opposite sex (clownfish and groupers). Sometimes (I believe, I'd have to look into it more), it's an age thing where they do develop to the opposite sex after a certain age

Certain fish change sex for certain reasons. Sometimes it's because there are no fish of the opposite sex (clownfish and groupers). Sometimes (I believe, I'd have to look into it more), it's an age thing where they do develop to the opposite sex after a certain age
There's a danger I believe in taking everything at face value. I'm not saying that I think everything that most believe is true is actually false, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is I think it's a good idea to question and test that which we think to be true so we can be certain of that truth. There are countless examples in our history of where the majority of the people believed something to be real or true and then later after it is tested, it's found to be false. And I think anybody that looks at the world and wants to understand that which we think we know is really the only way we can grow our understanding of this wonderful amazing and somewhat crazy world we live on! But that's just my opinion.

I agree it is good to question and test what we think we know.

Fish (yes, certain fish) can change gender because they have precursor cells for both ovaries and testes. I don't think chickens do; partly because there are two ovaries or two testes (or possibly two organs that are between an ovary and a testis - in mammals it occasionally happens - free martin cattle for example, I think, I know the rest of the reproductive system is between what it would be in a heifer vs a bull. Free martins are always female but the development of their reproductive system is affected by their bull twin's hormones).

If anyone also finds this interesting - https://www.bbcearth.com/news/fish-are-the-sex-switching-masters-of-the-animal-kingdom

Some species of fish can turn once from male to female. Some species can turn once from female to male. Some species can switch back and forth more than once.

Edit to add, sorry for that atrocious sentence. Maybe I'll fix the structure if I get to it while I can still edit.

Last edited:
I've been keeping birds for almost 2 years which is not a long time but I incubated some eggs to see what would happen what long story short I gave several chickens and I believed by texting them when they were young around 5 weeks 6 weeks that they were female and these had been pulled from a lot earlier that I had tried to sex which we all know is difficult. Well the bird was returned to me because it turned out to be a rooster and so I put it by itself and that's where it's been for the last two weeks well this morning the old nesting box it decided to perch in and poop in had an egg in it and even though there's hens around the coop and in other areas there is not one able to get in there he has been absolutely alone. I know it's rare they say about 1 in 10,000 and it's much more likely to be looked at as a hoax than an actuality but I walked out today and that's what I found.View attachment 3619160
What you're saying makes me think it is an intersex chicken, both a hen and a roo. That is super awesome, though!

One time even required stitches and they had to give me some blood cuz I lost quite a and I know everybody's going to say why do you have that dog?! Simple answer, I love the maniac, and every situation had an explanation. He was a rescue dog from a drug house and so he has issues. But he will absolutely protect this property and everything on it viciously to the death.

One time even required stitches and they had to give me some blood cuz I lost quite a and I know everybody's going to say why do you have that dog?! Simple answer, I love the maniac, and every situation had an explanation. He was a rescue dog from a drug house and so he has issues. But he will absolutely protect this property and everything on it viciously to the death.

Attachments

• IMG_20230502_200411048.jpg
    IMG_20230502_200411048.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20221116_185751309.jpg
    IMG_20221116_185751309.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230602_125506667.jpg
    IMG_20230602_125506667.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20221116_191445389.jpg
    IMG_20221116_191445389.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230725_145813149.jpg
    IMG_20230725_145813149.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 22
This is the face of Insanity! How could anyone, no matter how much blood, not love this face ❤️😈. And we all know that sometimes love can be painful, ya and sometimes also require an insurance claim. Like with all creatures, dogs or people, you either take them or leave them. All things pretty much come as is, and you can either accept it or not. And even if the whole world disagrees with me, it wouldn't make a difference on my decision. Like always and in everything, it is what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_191445389.jpg
    IMG_20221116_191445389.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221126_101816208.jpg
    IMG_20221126_101816208.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20221116_185607118.jpg
    IMG_20221116_185607118.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 23
Well I myself have grown hermaphrodite"plants and flowers" that were pretty much a female plant but here and there you would find a male flower. And I do know from experience that in that situation the pollen taken from that male flower combined with the female flower will only produce female seeds. Which is the natural way and in my opinion better than feminizing seeds by changing their gender with chemicals and stuff like that. I won't mention the movie, but I suppose truer words couldn't be spoken "Life finds a way".
Wow, it does seem like you specialize in the exotic & unusual!
I do have a solution to this cockerel that is being discussed & accused of gender dysphoria & producing an egg. I’m not from Missouri, but I have the “Show Me State” attitude.
Simply put this magic cockerel in a more secure cage with a lock & a good security camera or game came & produce video footage of an egg being laid & I will believe you. Until then, you might as well try convincing me that your dog laid that egg!

Well I myself have grown hermaphrodite"plants and flowers" that were pretty much a female plant but here and there you would find a male flower. And I do know from experience that in that situation the pollen taken from that male flower combined with the female flower will only produce female seeds. Which is the natural way and in my opinion better than feminizing seeds by changing their gender with chemicals and stuff like that. I won't mention the movie, but I suppose truer words couldn't be spoken "Life finds a way".
What plant was that?

One of the first things I learned about plant reproduction is that some plants do things very differently than others.

Some have both male & female parts in each flower, and expect to pollinate themselves (peas & tomatoes). Some have male & female parts in each flower, but often have bees or something to do the pollinating (onions, carrots, I think broccoli.)

Some plants have both male and female parts, but they are in different flowers (squash) or different parts of the plant (corn.)

Some plants have separate male and female plants (spinach, asparagus.) For at least some of those kinds of plants, each gender will sometimes make some of both parts anyway (like male asparagus making a few berries.)

I've read that mulberry trees can be all male, or all female, or make flowers of both kinds, and they supposedly can change from one year to another or even within a single year. I have mulberry trees in my own yard, but as far as I can tell they all make berries, so I must not have any all-male ones :idunno

Wow, it does seem like you specialize in the exotic & unusual!
I do have a solution to this cockerel that is being discussed & accused of gender dysphoria & producing an egg. I’m not from Missouri, but I have the “Show Me State” attitude.
Simply put this magic cockerel in a more secure cage with a lock & a good security camera or game came & produce video footage of an egg being laid & I will believe you. Until then, you might as well try convincing me that your dog laid that egg!
I'm starting to think it was the dog that put the egg in there.
That makes as much sense as anything else going on in here.

What plant was that?

One of the first things I learned about plant reproduction is that some plants do things very differently than others.

Some have both male & female parts in each flower, and expect to pollinate themselves (peas & tomatoes). Some have male & female parts in each flower, but often have bees or something to do the pollinating (onions, carrots, I think broccoli.)

Some plants have both male and female parts, but they are in different flowers (squash) or different parts of the plant (corn.)

Some plants have separate male and female plants (spinach, asparagus.) For at least some of those kinds of plants, each gender will sometimes make some of both parts anyway (like male asparagus making a few berries.)

I've read that mulberry trees can be all male, or all female, or make flowers of both kinds, and they supposedly can change from one year to another or even within a single year. I have mulberry trees in my own yard, but as far as I can tell they all make berries, so I must not have any all-male ones :idunno
Take a look at pawpaw trees. Their flowers go from a female stage to a male stage. And, they rely on flies to pollinate them instead of bees and the like.

https://onegreenworld.com/a-peak-into-pawpaw-pollination/

Plus, they require different varieties for successful pollination. They are a tree that often spreads by runners. Since the runners are then all genetically identical to the source, entire paw paw patches in the wild can be all be the exact same genetically and produce no fruit.

Back
Top Bottom